Belle Canyon: Rowell Meadow > Lost Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SojournInTheSierraa
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Belle Canyon: Rowell Meadow > Lost Lake

Post by SojournInTheSierraa »

Hello All-

I have been researching this website for a few weeks now and decided to create an account. I already appreciate the community and willingness to help others. I understand this has been an exceedingly abnormal winter, but I’m looking for some input on a trip I have planned for late June.

I have permit reservations for an end-of-June entry in the Belle Canyon Area of Kings Canyon. Plan is to start at Rowell Meadow TH and spend two nights at Lost Lake…poke around the other lakes in the area, head towards Mt Silliman, etc. It does not appear that there are any significant steam crossing along the route. Any thoughts on what trail conditions might be in late June? Will we be contending with snow? What about the access road, anything to worry about there?

Thanks!
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Belle Canyon: Rowell Meadow > Lost Lake

Post by Lenier »

>Will we be contending with snow?

Yes. I wouldn't be surprised if there's significant snow below 7000 ft at that time.

>What about the access road, anything to worry about there?

Late June might be good, but it may only be open as far as the Big Meadow TH. It's hard to say - likely lots of damage up that road that no one has seen yet.

You will run into the most massive hordes of mosquitoes you've ever seen more than likely. That entire area is super buggy, but then again that depends on how much snow has melted.

Due to said melt, you'll likely find the trail submerged in the Rowell Meadow area.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

I think there is too much snow this year, they not opening the road to Lodgepole(6.7k) until at least June is what I heard. Rowell Meadow TH(7.9K). I would wait check to see when the roads actually open then decide.

Texan
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Related question: can you get a refund for your permit if the access road is not open? Not sure how SEKI works. You can cancel now from Reserve.com but what about last minute?
mkbgdns
Topix Regular

Post by mkbgdns »

manual measurement of snow water equivalent in rowell meadow on march 31 showed 300% of normal. as this number is unprecedented for april 1, expect worst-case-scenario road damage. in other words, start working on a Plan B, and hope to be pleasantly surprised.
SojournInTheSierraa
Topix Newbie

Thanks all. This confirms my doubts, I think we will plan for a different trip!

Regarding the last minute permit refund question - I’m not sure, but am happy that cancellation/refund this far in advance is an option.
SojournInTheSierraa
Topix Newbie

Here’s a follow-up-

I will be coming from eastern US. Flights are booked, Belle Canyon permit reservations have been made. Time off work is reserved for late June. Have 2 nights/3 days for backpacking.

Any recommendations for a trip that would allow me to use the Belle Canyon permit that would fit the limitations I have to work with, taking into account the snow/flooding situation ?

If not, I think our Plan B may be to head to Big Sur instead…

Thanks!
creekfeet
Topix Regular

Post by creekfeet »

As others have said, it's doubtful the road will be open all the way out to the Rowell Meadow TH. However, I would imagine the road out to Big Meadows should be okay, so you could potentially begin your journey there. If you chose to do so, you could add a trip to Weaver or Jennie Lake into your plans. Jennie in particular is gorgeous.

Regarding snow concerns, it's obviously going to be a huge factor this summer, but the Belle Canyon area doesn't have sketchy creek crossings. The bigger problem is that the area is very, very boggy, and will most likely be extremely muddy and wet. As for mosquitoes, it's always kind of a crap shoot depending on when the snow melts out. But due to the boggy nature of the terrain, the mosquitoes can be biblically awful around Belle Canyon. I did quite a bit of tramping in the region in 2011 was a similarly big snow year, and more importantly a year where the snow took forever to melt. In mid July of that year mosquitoes were almost non-existent out there, but by late August they were the worst I've ever experienced in my life.

One other alternative is to just car camp and do day hikes. There's tons of awesome dispersed camping in the Big Meadows area, as well as an actual campground at Big Meadows. Access to sequoia groves and great river hiking abounds.