Hats/caps

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Hats/caps

Post by c9h13no3 »

Yeah, umbrellas are pretty clutch if you're below tree line in hiking terrain. Helps with kids too if they won't wear their hat. Scrambling or wind makes them completely untenable though.

Having a quiver of sun hats/shade solutions is totally fine. They're cheap, they all have pros & cons, I get tons of use out of all my options. Sometimes you just don't find an option comfortable. IDK, do what works for you, try some stuff.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by stevet »

Ed, is that a Kelty Tioga? Better and more stable attachment points with the frame.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

c9h13no3 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:22 pm Yeah, umbrellas are pretty clutch if you're below tree line in hiking terrain. Helps with kids too if they won't wear their hat. Scrambling or wind makes them completely untenable though.

Having a quiver of sun hats/shade solutions is totally fine. They're cheap, they all have pros & cons, I get tons of use out of all my options. Sometimes you just don't find an option comfortable. IDK, do what works for you, try some stuff.
Wind anywhere on the mountain is a hassle with umbrellas if it get above 15mph. But most of the time I can use the parasol until the early evening sundowner winds blow in. Having your favorite headwear for the sun is the back up in this case. As you say, have options.
stevet wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:10 pm Ed, is that a Kelty Tioga? Better and more stable attachment points with the frame.
@ stevet post
Cousin to the Tioga, it is the Kelty Sonoran. Same mountaineer frame. The difference being the Tioga's bag has an additional compartment at the bottom of the bag they describe as being for the sleeping bag, whereas the Sonoran lacks that compartment, so the bottom section of the frame exposed, where one would lash the sleeping bag to the frame in its own stuff sack. In the JMT image I provided, I have a bear canister in that position.

As for attaching the umbrella; it is very simple on this and many external frame packs, you just wedge it between the frame and pack bag, and secure the butt end of the handle, tying it off to the pack frame cross bar. One can purchase a harness to mount the parasol to internal frame packs, or just DYI a similar solution as an afternoon project.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

A broad brim or a ball cap.
Depending on where I am hiking and my whim for that day.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=