Taboose Pass campsites?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Spicer'sVet
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Taboose Pass campsites?

Post by Spicer'sVet »

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster here. My annual backpacking group is planning to attempt Taboose Pass this summer, with the goal of reaching Lake Basin if possible. My main concern is the amount of campsites on Taboose trail up to Taboose Pass, as we probably won't be able to ascend the pass in one day. Our group has swelled over the years, and may be around 10 people this year. I am a bit concerned about finding campsites along the trail to Taboose Pass as I've heard they are limited. I've heard the biggest camping area is just below or above the waterfall, around 6 miles in and 9,000 ft. Is my understanding correct? And will there be an area that can sleep 10 people? If so, where exactly is the campsite? (Not sure if it's below or above the waterfall) I would love to hear some veteran insight on the matter....

Additionally, I'm wondering about snow/ice on the passes this summer, with all the record snow we've had this year. Our trip is scheduled for mid-August, which normally would be fine, but I've heard the north side of Cartridge Pass can have quite a bit of ice/snow late into the season in high snowpack years. Should we be concerned that we won't be able to descend Cartridge Pass in to Lake Basin due to snow on the pass? We're a pretty experienced group, but also in our early fifties, so I just want to be safe.

Anyway, I'm hoping to hear from some of the vets on this board. This site is a great resource and I'm grateful for all the knowledge here. Really looking forward to this trip!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Taboose Pass campsites?

Post by Harlen »

Hey Spicer'sVet,

I reckon there are a few ways for you all to go.
There is a really nice camping area a short way in. It is above the main creek crossings, and you can get water just before you climb up to this spot. I don't have a map handy... well, there's the HST map, let me check it.... Okay, slightly above 2500 meters is the big flat camping area mentioned above, and slightly above 2800 m. is another camp, I call the "water birch camp." The latter is very close to the creek, but is an established camp. I believe I saw another potential camping area above that, in amongst the scattered pines. That last camp has a brilliant view of the "Golden Pillar," which is a spur off of Mount Goodale:

100_0943.JPG
"Golden Pillar."

100_1056.JPG
Water Birch Camp, below the Golden Pillar view.

100_1084.JPG
Photo shot from just by the Water Birch Camp, which is right on the creek, looking at the short steep slope that leads to the camp in the scattered pines.

All of the above camping areas could take 10 people, as long as you are willing to crowd your tents together. Here is a photo of that first, large camping area, the one slightly above 2500m:

100_1184.JPG
Camping area at around 2500m. Frank doesn't look too enthused, but it is a very deluxe camp site. You'll find it about 100' above the creek, after you have crossed to th south side of it. Look for a couple of giant Jeffrey Pines, and there are still Red and White Fir trees about.

Once you get near the pass, but still to the east of it, there are many flattish spots to fiddle a camp into, and water everywhere. A couple of times I have made it over the pass on the first day, and then you must drop down about 400 feet to find nice meadowy campsites.

100_1231.JPG
That Taboose Pass on the skyline, seen from the west.

Have a great time out there!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

You are going to have a real problem fitting a group of 10 into the allowable quota for the Taboose Pass trailhead. The total daily quota is only 10. That means you need to get all permits for the day your group enters. 6 of that 10 quota can be reserved up to 6 months in advance at recreation.gov; the other 4 spaces are available online two weeks in advance. I just checked recreation.gov. Only the last few days of August are not yet fully reserved for Taboose Pass - those are the only days that you have a chance to get all 10 required permits, assuming you grab the 6 available now and get the other 4 exactly two weeks in advance.
-Phil
RiseToADry
Topix Regular

Post by RiseToADry »

The 10 person per day limit seems to be the larger issue here as Phil pointed out, but if for some reason you still decide to tackle Taboose there is an expansive thread about the pass here:

https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... 1295&hilit
Spicer'sVet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Spicer'sVet »

Thank you all for the replies. Harlen, so are any of the campsites you mentioned near the waterfall, either above or below it? From what I've read those are the biggest and best campsites, approximately 6 miles from the trail head, but was my understanding they were closer to 8000-9000 ft. elevation, not 2500 meters. If we get get an early start, we'll probably try to get to the upper campsites, but if we start late afternoon we'll obviously only be able to get to the lower elevation ones.

I'm aware of the 10 hiker quota. We already have 6 reserved and will be trying our darnedest to get those 4 walkups. If not, we may have to split our group up on the first couple days.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Spicer, Sorry about the duplicate message-- same comment below.
Last edited by Harlen on Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This might be the falls you are talking about. Not sure what the elevation is, but maybe half to 2/3 of the way up?
7159_Taboose Creek copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Spicer,
I don't recall any falls, except for those above the "water birch camp, which is above the big, forest area camp seen in the photo of Frank.
2500 meters is a bit over 8000, though my math skills are weak. The "water birch camp" is seen in the other photos above, and it is just 2 small, gravelly spots, and not too big compared with the camp in the forest.

Hope that helps; good luck on your trip, Taboose Creek Canyon is a magical place.

p.s. I wonder if what you read about "the best" campsites referred to the camping area I referred to earlier as the "scattered pines" camping area? I have a memory of that being an attractive place, with views all around, and maybe several small, flat areas to tuck tents into? I was either cruising over the pass, or had camped below, so I only noted this area in passing. It would be a more exposed area in inclement weather, but I bet really nice if you hit right. I'd advise stopping early if it's rough weather, but I would choose to camp in the scattered pines area if the weather's good, and if it suits your guy's stride that day. Maybe the far Wandering Daisy knows that camping area, or RisetoADry?
Last edited by Harlen on Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spicer'sVet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Spicer'sVet »

Yes Harlen, I think that campsite near the Jefferey Pines is the campsite I'm thinking of. From my understanding, it's either just below or above those falls that you showed a picture of, about 2/3 of the way towards the pass. By "best" I mean biggest for our large group, though the views there look pretty nice too. We won't be there long, as our goal is to reach Lake Basin and make that our base camp.

Thank you for your input, it definitely helps. Now I'm somewhat worried the High Sierra will be blanketed in snow in August!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

wrote:
....Now I'm somewhat worried the High Sierra will be blanketed in snow in August!

Aren't we all? Maybe more difficult to travel, and to camp in, but oh so beautiful in snow! Check out T. Pass in early May, 2021:

100_1018.JPG

100_0953.JPG

And it was also pretty nice an month later in June. [Here is a link to our Trip Report. We too went from T. Pass into Lake Basin, and it was one of our very favorite trips ever! (https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... hp?t=21571)]

100_5046.JPG

100_5058.JPG
Nearing the pass, looking east at Mt Goodale.
Last edited by Harlen on Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.