allow now Tulare Lake to remain

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

allow now Tulare Lake to remain

Post by SSSdave »

AGREE !!!! Allow reborn Tulare Lake to continue to fill then remain. A horrible result of powerful greedy real estate interests long ago on the same level as what others did with Lake Tahoe destroying its historic forests and giant cutthroat trout species. It is SOME real estate interests, their political puppets, and financial institutions that have done immense damage to our state, nation, and our planet in their endless quest for wealth, growth, and development. Much of the divisive racial hate we see today in our state was not the result of ordinary dominant Caucasians but rather those red lining historic race-based exclusionary tactics in real estate, from racial steering by real estate agents directing Black home buyers and renters to certain neighborhoods or buildings and away from others to racial covenants in many suburbs and developments barring Black residents from buying homes. And more, they are most guilty of causing our current homeless crisis and theft of ordinary working class folk's modest wealth due to uncontrolled capitalist driven residential inflation. So yeah, break through the river levees now flooding upstream areas instead of being allowed to flow where it naturally will.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/letters-edit ... 28455.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulare_Lake

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel- ... ates=false
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: allow now Tulare Lake to remain

Post by Lenier »

Good luck convincing the 2-3 major landowners there to do any thing different than what they've done for the last 100 years. They've managed to convince smaller farmers to flood their fields in the basin this year, and left their land dry - pumping water to state owned lands elsewhere.

Change the date on your link to sentinel to the 27th to see even more of a difference in flooded areas!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I doubt there would be enough rainfall in the future to sustain Tulare Lake. It may be a mucky swamp most of the time. I do not know the history of Tulare Lake, but sometimes we romanticize the past. For one thing, the climate back then was wetter than normal. And what if with future climate it would be a bunch of mosquitoes and other undesirable things most of the time? As much as we romanticize about Yosemite Valley before those awful "people" drained it, I suspect it was a miserable place, unfit for people. I would wait on judging the worth of a reborn Tulare Lake until I had some more information on its past history. It may sound neat, but even if you eliminate the "profiteering" of landowners, I wonder if there would be unintended consequences. So I am neither pro nor con because I do not think we have really thought it out in detail.

Sorry I missed the link to the Wikipidia information. Still--If you did a detailed environmental impact study it likely would be infeasible. There is no way all the flood control is going to be knocked down to replicate historical conditions. I still think there are a lot of problems and unintended consequences and it is mostly a romantic pipe dream. You really cannot compare "livability" with native people who were migratory to the millions there now. I do think there is some middle-ground ideas that would be interesting to look at.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

33123c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:41 pm You really cannot compare "livability" with native people who were migratory to the millions there now. I do think there is some middle-ground ideas that would be interesting to look at.
I agree with a lot of this, and to me the middle ground would be more recharge basins to act as "reservoirs" in the valley. My pipe dream is a constant preserve that runs the entire length or most of the length of the valley that acts as recharge basins, lakes, wetlands, etc. with trails going through it so we can backpack in the valley in the winter months. This would also allow for more Tule Elk and waterfowl to live in the valley.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

I grew up in Bakersfield and there won't be enough rainfall to sustain Tulare lake like WD said. We are very lucky that we got this rain this year to get out of the drought, but that's the way California always is. 2-4 years of drought then recorded rainfall the next year. Its a cycle that repeats itself too often. I wish it was different but its not. Hopefully this record rainfall will help with the groundwater too. Good news, Lake Isabella a couple months ago was 20,000 acre feet(less than 10 percent full) and now its around 350,000 acre ft.(60-65 percent full) Its remarkable.

Texan
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

According to the accounts that I have read from pre-1900, it was a marshy mosquito farm most of the year. Maybe we should remove all dams and reduce rivers to a trickle in the summer? And, those dust storms from the 1800's, those would be sooo sweeeet! Bring back measels, polio, and small pox! The past was the best!
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Ecology is a never ending dynamic. Trying to hit an ecological balance using standard approaches is like hunting a target that zips to and fro, left and right. Get the vector correct and it changes distance. Get the range dialed, and it veers left. And when the lead is just right, it changes speed.

There is a concept of diverting water from full reservoirs, by pumping it directly into the aquifers directly below these lakes. Makes sense, as that is the resource that is being most significantly depleted under current practices. It isn't cheap, and there may be issues with contaminating deep water with surface organisms and bacteria. I am surprised this concept isn't getting more attention.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

Another aspect of this that some people may not have taken into consideration - the lakebed probably only had 200-500 years of existence left, even with plenty of water flowing into it. Silt and sediments naturally filled the basin over time, reducing the size of the lakes in the basin and forcing water into the San Joaquin more and more often.
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

The LA Times published an article today stating that LA sewage sludge is transported daily to a fertilizer processing facility located within the lake footprint. The concern is toxic byproducts could leach into the aquifer if the lake is allowed to reestablish itself.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien