Pulk sled for gear

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Pulk sled for gear

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi,
Have any of you bought a ready made pulk for hauling your gear instead of a backpack on snow?
Where did you get it, what kind, etc. How do you control it going downhill?
Thanks!
JayOtheMountains
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Pulk sled for gear

Post by JayOtheMountains »

You can go several routes for a pulk. Purchasing one will likely only net you the sled but not the pulling/harness system. There's a ton of information out there and sometimes the ready-made pulk sleds are not really what you want. Ultimately the best setups I've encountered are home-made.

What has worked for me quite often in the past is a simple single or double-person sled that you'd get from big-five or any other retailer of such fine entertainment devices. I rig it up with a beefed up cord and my stays and haven't had issues otherwise. Saves me the cost of a purpose-built pulk. YMMV. I don't currently have a setup, but that route is fairly inexpensive and meets the utility. Often, also, that kid's sled weighs less than a pre-manufactured pulk. There are also options that are made to be a bit more burly and robust for pulling behind snow machines, too.

Regardless, one piece of advice I can give is to get wax or a lubricant for the underside. Having good glide will enhance the experience and it will be likely you'll keep at it. A sled that sticks sucks...
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Imagine this. The person has a waist belt with a rope from each hip extending back to the pulk for attachment. Those ropes should be kept short like 5 feet. Over each rope is a piece of PVC pipe. This allows them to keep rigid. It makes it a lot easier for one person to control it on the downhill. The problem is if you have to contour on a steep hill. The pulk will want to slide off downhill. If you have a second person, they can keep it taut from behind. Plus, they are in position to watch the pulk more closely before it gets away.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Commercially produced pulks can cost $$$$! DYI is often lighter and better, and requires minimal skill to fabricate.

Adding to @ bobby49 comments: search the web for ski pulk designs, both product catalog specs, as well as all the DYI stuff out there. Important feature include:
  • The attachment point design on the waist belt should facilitates coupling/uncoupling from the pulk. Add a shoulder strap to the belt, so it doesn't ride down your torso.
  • The points where the tow ropes/poles attach to the pulk must be robust, due to the forces they will sustain. Consider reinforcing the plastic pulk in these areas with wood or metal reinforcements. You will want the design to afford detaching the tow ropes/pole from the sled, should you need to portage the pulk over rugged terrain.
  • Add some eyelets to the pulk, so you can secure the load. Reinforce the points where the eyelets fasten to the plastic pulk.
  • Some add kneel fins to the back portion of the pulk, to improve tracking while traversing side slopes. One or two 6" long, 1" tall aluminum fins mounted to the underside of the rear of the pulk will improve tracking. You will want fins to be detachable, and the area where they attach to the pulk reinforced, so the plastic of the pulk body doesn't crack.
Ed
I like soloing with friends.