2023 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Old Camp Bluff (~7500’ off CA88)

Post by c9h13no3 »

Mosquitoes active at dawn & dusk, but not so bad. But there were still snow patches. Killed 4-5 on the hike back to the car at 8pm.

I’d guess the mosquito apocalypse starts next weekend in the area.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
middleweight_marmot
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Mammoth Area - Twin Lakes, LLV, Convict 7/1-7/3

Post by middleweight_marmot »

Twin Lakes 7/1 3pm: 1- looked like there should have been more.

Matrimony Wall (Climbing Crag, 7600’ just off 395) on 7/2: 0 all afternoon
A breeze helped out. Climbing guide said he and others got eaten alive at the same spot the day before, but we didn’t see a mosquito the whole time

Little Lakes Valley, 7/3: 1 or 0 the whole way up to Heart Lake. Road still closed at Rock Creek pack station, most we saw were while hiking the mile or so along Rock Creek rd to the proper trailhead. A few at Heart Lake when the wind died down but not biting anywhere Hiked midday and there was a solid breeze, both of which I’m sure helped. Still a lot of snow up further past heart lake

Convict Lake 7/3 afternoon: 1
Quite a few along the shoreline but not many biting yet. A total zero out on the lake while we were boating- a robust breeze helped the whole time. I think our party of nine only sustained two or three bites total with minimal DEET use and swimsuits

Echoing others I was surprised at how little there were- I was expecting worse and got the sense that we just snuck in before it got bad and that it should get brutal quote soon.

Some locals we talked to said that it was horrendous in some places around town but very random and unpredictable where/when they’d be, and the Rite Aid was fully sold out of bug spray.
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Olancha Pass to Peak

Post by Flamingo »

Olancha Pass Trailhead (Sage Flats), July 1st --> [4] I was surprised to get swarmed so hardcore at this desert trailhead. The nearby creek was raging, so maybe that explains it. Also, unrelated: it was 102'F at 3pm. Uggh.

Summit Meadow, July 2nd & 3rd --> [2] I had hoped to cowboy camp outside, but I definitely needed mosquito netting at night. A light application of Sawyer Picardin eliminated the problem during daytime.

PCT from Summit Meadow to Olancha Peak, July 2nd --> [1.5] I noticed moderate swarms at the various springs along the trail. I got a dozen bites while refilling water, but wasn't bothered while hiking.
moonburn
Topix Novice

Rockbound Lake, Desolation Wilderness (6600'). July 2-4.

Post by moonburn »

3 -- After sunset, could only get away from them by standing on the tallest rock above camp and benefiting from the light breeze.
rayfound
Topix Expert

Horseshoe meadows and South Fork Cottonwood July 2-3

Post by rayfound »

HS Meadows: 2. Fairly manageable but some nuisance. Picardin lotion was sufficient to make a non issue.

SF Trail and 11012 Lake: 1 - no significant presence. I did have the picardin on as a precaution anyway, but I'm not sure it was even needed.
mauhler31
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

June Lake area 7/5-7/6

Post by mauhler31 »

Oh Ridge campground - 1

Fern Lake trail - 3
Started the trail around 8:30 am. The beginning up until the first switchback was swarmed with mosquitos. When we returned a few hours later it dropped down to a 2.
maxr22
Topix Acquainted

Big Pine Creek North Fork Lakes 1-5 7/7-7/8

Post by maxr22 »

1 or 2, I wore shorts and t shirt and only got bitten 4x.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Shingle Springs 7/7-7/9

Post by frozenintime »

july 7-9 from shingle spring

kibbie ridge > bartlett peak > inferno lakes > nance peak > spotted fawn > little bear > bartlett creek > many island lake > kibbie ridge

0–1 almost everywhere (to our surprise!) and maybe a 2 at many island lake.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Glen Alpine TH/Gilmore Lake July 9

Post by windknot »

Mosquitoes were a 1 at the Glen Alpine trailhead in the mid-morning, a 2-3 around the marshier areas near the seasonal creek crossing along the unmaintained 17E06.1 trail from Glen Alpine TH to Gilmore Lake, and a 0 at Gilmore Lake (with a steady breeze the entire day). I can envision this being much worse in a week or two.
robguz
Topix Newbie

7/2-7/4 - Sawmill lake

Post by robguz »

Level 2 at Sawmill lake for 7/2-7-4. May have been heavier at lower elevations because we saw many along the creek mid-day.