TR: South Lake to Onion Valley; 9/10/22-9/17/22

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: South Lake to Onion Valley; 9/10/22-9/17/22

Post by stevet »

Just about when I’d given up hope of a Sierra hike last summer, I received an email from my friend Art. He announced he was going, when, and to join him if I could. Plans to come. That lit the fire. I wasn’t able to join him but did find a way to squeeze in a hike.

I hiked from South Lake to Onion Valley, with various meanderings, to explore new routes and new places. I chickened out a couple times and left some places to another time, received a new definition of beauty, saw my first Sierra Bighorns, and discovered I could stay dry despite 3 days and nights of Hurricane Kay deluge.

The hike started with thunder, lightning, and rain, then a brief reprieve before the heavens opened for a multi-hour deluge followed by strong winds. Not much sleep but woke to a beautiful dry morning.

That evening clouds rolled in to Upper Basin and my first experience of 2-foot visibility while under my tarp.

In the morning I ascended Upper Basin Crossing but couldn’t locate Cameron’s ramp and the way down.

Skipping Amphitheater Lake and my planned route through, Dumbell Lakes and across Lakes Basin, I JMT’d it and picked up my route at Bench Lake. Another rainy night and next day, but for one momentary break.

Yes, it takes your breath away.

Clouds, fog, whatever you want to call it block the route to Colosseum Col, so I skipped that and followed the Sawmill Pass Trail to Woods Lake instead. Next morning the SoSHR Baxter Peak route called,

but Upper Basin Crossing had broken my confidence and I decided, being solo, to take the easy way into Sixty Lakes Basin. The weather changed from wet to cold, but the skies were perfect as I entered Gardiner Basin via Sixty Lakes Col.

About halfway through I encountered these guys.

I exited over Gardiner Pass, spent a night at Charlotte Lake, and finished the next morning.
In all, a much-needed last minute getaway and “handful of new.” Full trip report, pictures, and maps here:
https://vennacher.wordpress.com/2023/03 ... ever-been/.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: South Lake to Onion Valley; 9/10/22-9/17/22

Post by texan »

Cool Pics, thanks for sharing.

Texan
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Gorgeous photography. I've never seen Bighorn in the Sierra--only in Idaho. How cool.
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

kpeter wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:03 pm I've never seen Bighorn in the Sierra--only in Idaho. How cool.
Cool indeed! A first for me.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thank you, Thank you! What masterful photography. I really admire the first and third images from your HST report. Where is that 3rd photo from; are you looking down on Upper Basin? We can't wait to see and read more of your trip Stevet. Congratulations on that wonderful first sight of Sierra Bighorns-- what a great closeup view of them! I've never had that sort of luck with Bighorns; when I get to see them they usually appear like this:

100_4307.jpg
You can just barely see her on the skyline.

I only hope they continue to spread back out into the range.

I did the same route, minus the Gardiner Basin part, and it took me 13 days! Got pinned down by snow for 5 of them. Ate nothing but tiny brook trout at the end. We're glad your trip went so well. Cheers, Ian and Lizzie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

And I love the 4th and 6th images too! We hope to see more in the full report.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

I just read the long version with coffee on a Saturday morning, nice start to my day.

The rain sounds like a lot, but it sounds like a great trip, thanks for sharing
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

Ditto...Just read the long report with my coffee and impressed. Seems like the Sierras have a lot of wetness of late! I can't imagine doing what you did in that weather without a tent. I would have been cold, wet and "challenged" though indeed the light gets to be fantastic. Quite a trip in that time frame + two bear cans! Like I said, impressive.

Thanks for posting the link, and great photos too!

M.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I read the whole report and much appreciated more photos. I ran into mountain sheep at Window Lake a few years ago. I do not know how much they roam around, or if those you saw could be the same herd.

In spite of the rain you made some long miles each day. Did you start out with 7 days food or more considering the sections you deleted? It sounds like you are UL or at least "light"- what was your pack's starting weight? I totally agree with backing off if you do not feel up to the terrain or weather. In fact, I think it is fine to back off any route for any reason if it does not feel right.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Just finished your long report, also with coffee, if the decaf Lizzie brought me counts. What a pleasure to read, and more great photos! Now I know where that image I admired was taken from-- Looking down on Amphitheater Lake and Basin. Thanks again.