Snowshoes in May?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Snowshoes in May?

Post by oldranger »

May this year I think I'd go for skis! in 83 in early june I skied from just off the road from Grant Grove to Lodgepole to Rowell Meadow. Later in June I hiked 1/2 way to Pear Lake then skied from there to Crescent Lake. Unfortunately l had to post hole the remainder of my trip to Rowell Meadow due to the terrain and crappy snow in the trees.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Sam R
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Sam R »

Mike--good idea! I've actually been thinking about going up past Pear Lake to Tableland and back. I've been known to take a tumble or two while making tele-turns in deep snow, but at least from here it doesn't look like the run-out at any point would be too dire. Maybe not getting lost in the woods lower down would be the thing to make sure of. Sam
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

If you are interested, in this episode of Backpacker Radio, the hosts interview Daniel Winsor, who left Kennedy Meadows on May 15, 2017, hiking the PCT, and Ned Tibbets, who has been teaching snow safety for 40 years. They agree on most things, including that microspikes are worthless on the steep terrain you'll likely be traversing no matter where you are hiking in the Sierra (that's been my experience as well). Daniel did a few overnight trips during the winter to dial in his gear before starting the PCT in March.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2g7php ... Km0JvEzubQ
Sam R
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sam R »

Thanks, Lumbergh21, I'll check that out.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Sam, sounds like you are all set with good advice, and Rocky Mountain experience. I'll just second WD and Gogd's points about points. I have rarely been so miserable as when slipping and sliding with a pack over sun-cupped snowfields. With crampons or microspikes the situation is the opposite-- it can even be a fun challenge to balance along with points on the topmost edges of the cups. See below for some serious sun-cup terrain:

IMG_6571.JPG
Miserable man stuck in the sun-cups.

IMG_6585.JPG
Happy as Larry.

100_2056.jpg
Dogs suffer too. Here's Bearzy on Pine Creek Pass about to suffer in a sea of cun-cups.

100_2130.jpg
Early morning traveling is the way to go, and those lightweight aluminum crampons, or micros. will be worth their weight in gold. Good Luck Sam, Ian.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

I cannot tell you what conditions will be like or if you will need them.
What I can add, is that I have MSR Lightening Ascent, excellent snowshoes. However, last year, going up Rock Creek with a heavy pack, (I always need a very heavy pack for winter conditions since I get so cold and also since I am chicken. I have a very sturdy tent and I have seen lighter tents collapse in sudden wind and I just do not want to risk it in snow conditions.)
Anyway, I postholed a few times times on the way up. Extricating myself made a tough climb absolutely exhausting. Especially at the beginning of the season when I am anyway not in great shape, it was a disaster for the trip since, added to the a
altitude, I felt so exhausted every day I really did not have a good time for all of the effort. This year, I am buying extension tails to prevent it.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

Lumbergh21 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:08 pm If you are interested, in this episode of Backpacker Radio, the hosts interview Daniel Winsor, who left Kennedy Meadows on May 15, 2017, hiking the PCT, and Ned Tibbets, who has been teaching snow safety for 40 years. They agree on most things, including that microspikes are worthless on the steep terrain you'll likely be traversing no matter where you are hiking in the Sierra (that's been my experience as well). Daniel did a few overnight trips during the winter to dial in his gear before starting the PCT in March.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2g7php ... Km0JvEzubQ
Ref. this Backpacker Radio interview...Very good general info even if not Thru-hiking. Sobering, with obvious parallels to what this year is likely to exhibit. Thanks @Lumbergh21...
Yeah these "@" links are not working. Ummmmmm...Mods?!?

M.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

I agree with Ian and Ed, postholing is the worst!
…Then of course, my pack is always too heavy. But when I need gear and I have it, I am OH SO GLAD that I schlepped it!!
Sam R
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sam R »

Ian, thanks very much for the pics, advice, & good wishes. Those are some serious suncups!

My first trip ever, while I was still in high school, was Virginia Lakes to Tioga Pass in June of 1995. I remember the suncups. We didn't have any traction, so I also remember some slippin' and a-slidin'.

Here is a pic of Mt Ruth, in North Cascades NP, which I went up in crampons last summer. There were some steep bits, but I felt quite snug in my spikes:
IMG_0646.jpg
Good-looking dog, by the way. I have a red heeler myself.

S
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam R
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sam R »

Love the Sierra, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Especially since the Little Lakes Valley otherwise sounds so lovely for snowshoeing. Thanks for letting me know.

I'm getting the point--maybe there are times when the stars align, but you can't just go expecting hard-packed snow to be laid out for your unadorned boots like a red carpet.