Pondering Snow & River Crossings

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Pondering Snow & River Crossings

Post by paul »

Ian - I would expect solid snow starting at least at the Punchbowl. Based on what I experienced in late May of 2011 in Red Mtn Basin, late June this year will be very snowy and creeks will be extremely high. If I wanted to get anywhere near there this year in June, I would be planning my route primarily to avoid creek crossings, and assuming that anything above about 9k will be close to solid snow unless facing south/southwest; and bringing crampons and ice axe. And if I had any members of my party who were not experienced on steep snow I would stick to gentle terrain (and in that case, no 'pons or axe needed).
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Thanks for the advice. I am struggling with making plans B,C, and onward. I really hope that we can carve a safe and fun path over the Lucifer Saddles, as that opens up the upper Bench Valley areas, and even further south. If Lucifer is not possible for us, then how about that easy saddle just south of Devils Punchbowl? It appears that 4 miles in a straight line south of Devils Punchbowl there is an easier crossing of the saddle just east of peak 10,046. We could also get into the upper Bench Valley area from there. For the route back, perhaps we could try Lucifer Saddles again from the Bench Valley side; and if not, we could return the way we came, and then explore more of Red Mountain Basin, and the Indian Lakes valley. Maybe return to Courtright Res. via Reddys Hole? I don't know, more advice please, for instance, do you reckon that up around 9600 - 10,000' the creeks will be snow-bridged, and we can relax about the crossings till we come down? Thanks, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Ian - If I were coming in from Maxson I would go the way I went last summer - up into Red Rock Basin and through Reddy's hole. That way you only have to get across Burnt Corral creek, up pretty high in the drainage, and various little stuff which should be no problem - though it may be pretty soggy wherever there isn't snow. Then you have the creek between Lower and Upper Indian Lakes, which should be reasonable; and if you don't take the trail but go XC to Dale Lake, you'll cross Fleming creek up high where it should be smaller. The creek that collects all the outflows from HFS lake, Diappointment, Arctic, Horseshoe, and Blackrock Lakes could be big where the trail to the punchbowl crosses it, but you could go up to Disappointment, over to Blackrock, and to the punchbowl from there. I've never been over that saddle you mention next o 10,486 but I think I may have read a report from someone who did that. Coud be some annoying navigating as you contour over into Fall creek, but it seems feasible to get over there, go up the creek in order to cross it high, and get to Crabtree, and so on from there. I would not count on snow bridges in late June. I don't usually trust them that late (if they are still there, often there are no bridges that late even when there is still a solid snowpack), especially on foot rather than on skis.
Also - I know you've been in towards Blackcap from Wishon, I think via Woodchuck creek - but have you considered going in via Rancheria and going to Blackcap Basin? Seems to me one can assemble a route from Rancheria via Chuck Pass to Halfmoon Lake that stays high and avoids any significant crossings; go up to Portal Lake and then head north into Blackcap. Going to be a soggy mess wherever there isn't snow - but safe.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

My experience was that Post Coral is so wide that, though it is FREEZING COLD and wide so you are in the cold for a long time and quite deep, it is safe and slow. When I went in 2017, I crossed 4 times just going out and 4 times coming back. Once with my pack and the dogs, back again, then. Holding my chicken daughter’s hand. I had to tell her “Be ready, right about at those rocks your feet will be totally numb, they may begin to hurt but then it is only a little way more and then you are done.”
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Here is another question…Will the road to Courtright be open? Any guesses?
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I would be surprised if the road to Courtwright is not open in June - unless there is significant damage to the road from the winter/runoff. PG&E wants that road open, so they will probably get it open if it is not damaged - but that is a big IF this year. Usually the road to Wishon is kept plowed for PG&E through the winter, but closed to the public. That generally opens by late April or early May; this year might be different. Currently, Sierra National Forest is not reporting any damage to the road to Wishon, but the big runoff is just getting started, so we'll see. It can be hard to get up to date information on those roads, and sometimes the road to Wishon is open but the folks at the ranger station in Prather don't know it.
The private campground near Wishon dam may have the latest info when the time comes:
https://wishonvillage.com/
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Please ask question about roads in the Transportation section. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Apologies, I did not mean to hijack the thread.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Love the Sierra wrote:
Apologies, I did not mean to hijack the thread.
Me either, but thanks to you all for the advice. I will stare at the map, and adapt our plans. I would have thanked you earlier, but just returned from a computerless zone... and still no cellphone.

100_2570.JPG
Flight over the Coast Range of BC!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

@Harlen / Ian... [NOTE TO MODS! - The "@" name notification function is not working still. Thanks!]

A tardy reply here from me too as I have been away for 10 days, etc.

The ponderings shared on these stream crossings (or raging rivers perhaps?) are out of my bandwidth here as went to Red Mt. Basin and up Lucifer's in August of 2018. All the streams mentioned were inconsequential and even dry in places as getting water from Post Corral Creek ended in Long Meadow. With regard to Lucifer's, you know my trepidation with exposure and for sure Lucifer's was not that. Now we passed on descending from the second saddle (southern one) to Bench Valley as were on a day hike, but overall it looked fine and very easy peasy for someone of your capacity. I do not recall even one area of 'clambering' from Big Shot Lake to the top, though this could be a lapse c/o seniormomentitis. Perhaps there are other members of your party who are less cloven-hoofed but with some snow gear Lucifer's may not be too bad...it's the rivers which will likely be the thing causing curses.

On that note, seeing as this post is about rivers, etc. in case you missed it, here is the video link for the Kern South Fork at the first Kennedy Meadows bridge on the PCT as of Tuesday, May 2nd. 2023. It is very sobering!!!

https://youtu.be/ek67BP8JSG4

Take care and hope your trip is a GO one way or another ~ Michaelzim