Your favorite short day hikes Eastern Sierra w/ young kids

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
csc
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Your favorite short day hikes Eastern Sierra w/ young kids

Post by csc »

My family (2 adults and a 4 year old) is planning a road trip with car camping along the Eastern Sierras -mostly Inyo National Forest - in mid July. I am seeking your advice on your favorite short day hikes along the way.

We will need to keep the mileage each day short due to nap schedule and our sea level physical fitness. We typically cap our lower altitude hikes at 4-miles, but are also ok with stretching our typical routine a bit for this vacation—as long as it stays fun. We are eyeing hikes that are out and back so that we can turn around whenever we feel we need to, so we want to make sure that the trails we chose are scenic along the way and not just at their destination, in case we want to turn around earlier. Our boy likes hiking, but we can also carry him part of the way in the carrier backpack. We love big mountain views (though not necessarily from atop them!), creeks, and especially waterfalls. Given the snowfall this year, hiking *beside* snow would be great, hiking *on* snow would = wet, cold mess and complaining!

We are planning, snow conditions allowing, on staying 1 to 2 nights each in the areas of Bishop Creek, Rock Creek, and Mammoth Lakes/Reds Meadow Valley and/or maybe the Lee Vining area.

I am interested in your feedback on the following trails based on our circumstances and if there are any others that you would recommend instead. I understand trail, road, and maybe campground access will be dependent on how the snow melts between now and then, so I am planning on revisiting our plans shortly before our trip. Thank you!

Bishop area:
-Bishop Pass Trail from South Lake to Bull Lake (3.5 mi./1,000 ft. gain) or Long Lake (5 mi./1,000 ft. gain)
-Piute Pass Trail to Loch Leven (5 mi./1,400 ft. gain) OR Lamarck Lakes Trail (4.6 mi./1,600 ft. gain)
-dinner picnic at Lake Sabrina

Rock Creek area:
-Little Lakes Valley Trail to Long Lake (4 miles/500 ft. gain), or could go longer if desired

Mammoth Lakes/Reds Meadow area:
-Devils Postpile and Rainbow Falls if we can get camping in Reds Meadow Valley and avoid the shuttle
-Duck Pass Trail to Arrowhead Lake (2.4 miles) or Skelton Lake (can also loop with Emerald Lake, making it 3.4 mi/900 ft. gain)
-Lake George Trail to Barrett Lake and TJ Lake (1.5 miles, 300 ft. gain)
-Minaret Lake Trail to Minaret Falls (2.5 mi./250 ft. gain) - if we can camp in Reds Meadow Valley and can avoid the shuttle

Lee Vining area:
-Virginia Lakes (walk past series of lakes until it’s time to turn around)
-Warren Fork Trail (3 miles/600 ft. gain)
-20 Lakes Basin (water taxi + 4-5 mi./several hundred ft. gain) - I am really interested in this trail, but am concerned that it will be too big of a day given the need to get across Saddlebag Lake first.
Last edited by csc on Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Your favorite short day hikes Eastern Sierra w/ young kids

Post by rlown »

csc wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:33 am Lee Vining area:
-20 Lakes Basin (water taxi + 4-5 mi./several hundred ft. gain) - I am really interested in this trail, but am concerned that it will be too big of a day given the need to get across Saddlebag Lake first.
There is a literally flat road along the East side of saddlebag. You don't need the water taxi. There is a "cabin/resort" on the backside of saddlebag lk.
RiseToADry
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by RiseToADry »

I'm not sure if the Reds Meadow Area will be open this summer, I've heard rumors that they're going to do a ton of road work and may close the valley, so as it gets closer to summer keep an eye on this.

I'll throw in a few more options for you to consider...
  • Parker Lake near June Loop (3.4mi / +550ft)
  • Shell/Fantail/Spuller Lake hike that goes past the old mining town of Bennettville, this is on Tioga Pass road near Saddle Bag (Fantail is 3.4mi / +400ft)
  • If you take the water taxi across Saddlebag, the loop hike is great. If you don't want to take the shuttle, you can walk around the west side of the lake and hike up to Conness Lakes. (5mi / +600 ft)
  • If you need a shorter hike one day, Heart Lake near Mammoth in the Lakes Basin is a good option. If you wander off a little north and west from the lake there are spectacular views of the Lakes Basin and the Ritter Range. (2mi / +500ft)
Of all the hikes that have been listed, my favorites are Little Lakes Valley, Rainbow Falls, Heart Lake (Mammoth), Parker Lake, 20 Lakes Basin, and Shell/Fantail. The Bishop area hikes are all good too and I would rank them similarly - though I think the views are better from Long Lake than Bull Lake.

If you poke around my blog a little bit there are a lot of posts on short day hikes that I've done with my dog (that would be good for children) around Mammoth, the link is below this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The Saddlebag Lake area and Emigrant Wilderness are likely to have horrible mosquitoes this year in mid-July. I avoid these areas until later. As for camping, the lower elevation campgrounds will likely be better to avoid mosquitoes.

Emigrant also requires some distance before you get into the good stuff.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I'm more of a Western Sierra guy, the only time I've taken my kid to the East side was in April. Panum Crater, while in the desert, was worth a recommendation.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

Bishop Area: Green Lake from South Lake TH, follow the pipeline
Lower Lamarck from North Lake TH
Tyee Lakes are good but trail a little steep
Rock Creek Lake: Box Lake or Ruby Lake
Treasure Lakes out of South Lake TH
June Lake Area: Walker or Parker Lake
Bridgeport Area: Green Lake
Virginia Lakes: Moat Lake
Leavitt Meadows: Secret Lake, Lane and Roosevelt Lakes

Texan
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by scottmiller »

My first choice is Little Lakes. Unless there are bugs, in which case it can be terrible. If you want some uphill from there, Ruby Lake is a good destination.
Don't even think about the Morgan Mine trail.
csc
Topix Acquainted

Post by csc »

rlown wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:42 am
csc wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:33 am Lee Vining area:
There is a literally flat road along the East side of saddlebag. You don't need the water taxi. There is a "cabin/resort" on the backside of saddlebag lk.
I was thinking that without the water taxi, it would just be too long a hike for our schedule, thus the water taxi.
csc
Topix Acquainted

Post by csc »

RiseToADry wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:06 am I'm not sure if the Reds Meadow Area will be open this summer, I've heard rumors that they're going to do a ton of road work and may close the valley, so as it gets closer to summer keep an eye on this.

I'll throw in a few more options for you to consider...
  • Parker Lake near June Loop (3.4mi / +550ft)
  • Shell/Fantail/Spuller Lake hike that goes past the old mining town of Bennettville, this is on Tioga Pass road near Saddle Bag (Fantail is 3.4mi / +400ft)
  • If you take the water taxi across Saddlebag, the loop hike is great. If you don't want to take the shuttle, you can walk around the west side of the lake and hike up to Conness Lakes. (5mi / +600 ft)
  • If you need a shorter hike one day, Heart Lake near Mammoth in the Lakes Basin is a good option. If you wander off a little north and west from the lake there are spectacular views of the Lakes Basin and the Ritter Range. (2mi / +500ft)
Of all the hikes that have been listed, my favorites are Little Lakes Valley, Rainbow Falls, Heart Lake (Mammoth), Parker Lake, 20 Lakes Basin, and Shell/Fantail. The Bishop area hikes are all good too and I would rank them similarly - though I think the views are better from Long Lake than Bull Lake.

If you poke around my blog a little bit there are a lot of posts on short day hikes that I've done with my dog (that would be good for children) around Mammoth, the link is below this post.
Thank you for the recommendations! Your blog is great! I am especially interested in the Fantail trip. Good point about similarities between dog friendly hikes and kid friendly hikes.
csc
Topix Acquainted

Post by csc »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:01 am The Saddlebag Lake area and Emigrant Wilderness are likely to have horrible mosquitoes this year in mid-July. I avoid these areas until later. As for camping, the lower elevation campgrounds will likely be better to avoid mosquitoes.

Emigrant also requires some distance before you get into the good stuff.
Thanks for the thought about mosquitoes, Wandering Daisy. Mosquitoes is something on my mind that could make our vacation (as planned) miserable. What would you consider the upper limit of elevation for planning for camping (or hiking) with low mosquito pressure in mid-July this year?