Favorite Waterfalls

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Favorite Waterfalls

Post by mxoyez »

Pine Creek Waterfall in June is pretty Awesome!
https://imgur.com/a/lvzf7mn
I haven't seen too many water falls in the Sierra though.
ironmike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ironmike »

c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:51 am Maybe this answer is too obvious, but the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne.

0A88ED4E-94C1-40F6-96DF-295C33E4C73C.jpeg
I was going to say something similar about the Lost Canyon of the Merced
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tweederjohnson »

There are an abundance of great waterfalls off of Mountain Highway 99 heading up from Johnsondale Bridge towards Ponderosa and down past Camp Nelson. Peppermint and Dry Meadow Creeks both have several beautiful falls (a particularly large one on Peppermint) and sections of granite tubs/tea cups that I imagine look pretty gorgeous in high flows. North Fork of the Middle Tule near Wishon Campground has some great falls too. These are all short hikes from the roads.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

paul wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:59 pm I like that. Not too big. I find I like a nice mid-sized waterfall better than a really big one, and perhaps a nice series of cascades even better. The series of cascades on the way up to Evolution Valley is very nice...

https://www.davidsenesac.com/2019_Trip_ ... html#jun29

downsized for web
SL09061-67 4000x6000 pixels 1 frame 7 image focus stack blend A6000 60mm

After some mid day fun exploring steep canyon slopes near camp, at mid afternoon left for a 2 mile plus hike up the canyon trail to the most important photography viewing point I'd analyzed before the trip. The above image shot about 5:30pm shows Evolution Creek where it drops down from its hanging valley to join the river that routes due south with a similar volume. In the background several miles beyond is 13710 foot Mt Mendel and at the Sierra Crest, 13831 foot Mt Darwin.

downsized for web
SL09073-09087-2x2v 5000x7300 pixels 4 frame 2 column 2 row 15 image focus stack stitch blend A6000 SEL55210@168mm

This next image above shows the same whitewater cascades of Evolution Creek, at 5000x7300 focus stack stitch blend using my Sony SEL55210 Zoom lens. Because at 100% pixels it isn't nearly as sharp as my Sigma 60mm prime, I've reduced its size by about one-third that is plenty sharp now if one looks at the enlarged vertical slice view.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

World famous, leaping out over an overhang Bridalveil Fall is easily the most aesthetic waterfall in the state if one includes front country. In fact, one can argue Yosemite Valley has more separate beautiful waterfalls than anywhere else on the planet. Much of the summer, Bridalveil Fall's sun angle, mid afternoon allows a spectacular mist of rainbow colors to form at its base. Generally, a waterfall's aesthetic peak is often limited to limited periods each year during higher snow melt.

downsized for web

oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

P1040506.JPG.jpeg
Loved this Falls. the pic doesn't do it justice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

i have never been there but i would love to go visit that big one north of edith lake in NW yosemite
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Still trying to get to a waterfall I have seen mentioned once in a trip report. It is not on any map. I looked at Google Earth and only saw it by looking at historic imagery and rotating it. Not visible on the current imagery. From the imagery it looks more like a cascade than a waterfall. Maybe 80 feet vertical drop? No trail to it, although an older unmaintained trail passes 1/4 mile away. I keep trying to find an excuse for a day hike to it.

Near SW corner of Lassen Park, on Digger Creek about 1/2 mile below Heart Lake.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I am partial to streams like W Fork Cherry Creek, Falls Creek, and others that slide over granite in numerous falls and cascades. There is something about the cumulative effect and the moisture in the air and the sound that is more powerful than some tall falls.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.