TR: Lake 10,232! (via Reinstein Pass / Finger Col / etc)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Lake 10,232! (via Reinstein Pass / Finger Col / etc)

Post by stevet »

Awesome photos, and thanks for the pass descriptions. Secor's writing is spare and concise, I was walking and climbing along with you. I need to add Goddard Creek to my list.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

Great photos and trip. I really liked the extra detail in the long version. Thanks for sharing
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frozenintime »

@paul ha, i would love to get to tunemah someday, and the little basin to its east. i had initially thought i might string it into one trip with 10232 since they are so close to each other, but i don't love the looks of the available routes between them and am also trying to keep my longer trips in the 5 day range right now, which wouldn't really work for a tunemah + 10232 trip.

and thank you @stevet and @wsp_scott :)
papercup
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by papercup »

Agree with everyone who is praising your writing and your photos. What a beautiful trip. I also did a nearly identical trip two years ago; the only real difference is that I went to climb Mount Goddard from Martha Lake and then dropped to 10,232 from the Ionian Basin rather than Reinstein Pass. The two days I spent hiking from Martha Lake to Goddard to 11,818 to 10,232 to Finger Basin are probably my two favorite days I've spent in the Sierra. Stunningly beautiful and really fun terrain. You are right that Finger Col is an absolute gem, that the descent from Hell for Sure is surprisingly painful, and that the lengthy final hike out through the forest is something that needs to be managed in your planning.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

@papercup thank you for reading. it's cool to see how many others have hiked this route. i didn't come across other reports of this specific itinerary in my endless sierra googlings beforehand (at least that i remember), but of course others have had the same thought. perhaps we should call it the "lollipop of solitude" (jk).
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

@papercup ah, i see your report now (here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21787&p=167387)!.

i can't believe i missed it before. oh and somehow we took the wrong turn towards mosquito pass as well :/
Spicer'sVet
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Spicer'sVet »

@frozenintime: Great trip report! We are planning to leave from Courtright on 8/12. We have 9 days total (technically 8 1/2), and we haven't yet decided to start our loop from Blackcap or Red Mountain Basin. Ideally we'd go through all 3 basins (Bench in middle) but I have a feeling we'll only do 2, Bench + Red Mountain/Blackcap.

I'm leaning towards starting at Blackcap Basin, even though it's a farther hike from Courtright. I'd like to visit Blue Canyon which is south east from Finger Col. Are those photos you have from southside of Finger Col in what's known as Blue Canyon? I'm trying to get my bearings on the area. I'd also like to visit the creeks and meadows just south of Lk 10,232, and hopefully that lake itself if time permits.

I'm looking forward to the trip, but not that long slog through the lower forests!
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

hey there

nope, those photos are from the unnamed basin/drainage(?) directly east of finger col.