Load-out feedback

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
sbennett3705
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Load-out feedback

Post by sbennett3705 »

Looking for feedback on my one-week load-out: https://lighterpack.com/e/q6t2tg

- There are lighter packs, but the Osprey has an adjustable torso length system to accommodate my scoliosis (you can have a different left/right torso lengths)
- I've used the Smart Bottle solution for carry-water but once dropped the bottle, shattering the lid. I've since gone to a PE bottle that's unbreakable.
- Boots are a personal preference when carrying loads vs trail runners
Last edited by sbennett3705 on Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Re: Load-out feedback

Post by TurboHike »

Some of your weights appear to be wrong. Did you weigh each item yourself? For example, my BV450 is 33 ounces on my scale, the BV475 is probably a few ounces heavier, around 36 ounces = 2.25 lbs. Another example is your jetboil fuel... a full 8 oz canister weighs about 12.5 ounces, not 8 ounces. I use a 4 ounce canister for 1 week and a full 4 ounce weighs around 7 ounces.

Gear lists are such a personal choice.

How much weight would you need to cut so that the scoliosis does not bother you using a lighter pack? If you ditch the camp shoes, the stool, bring a smaller power bank (just turn off the phone when not in use), use a rain wrap instead of rain pants, etc you could cut about 3 pounds. Then if you get a lighter pack you might save another 2.5 pounds. Now you might prefer trail runners instead of boots. And so forth.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

Hummmmm...I zeroed in on the same things as @TurboHike though must admit I do not understand the dynamics of different "left/right torso lengths". Many packs of course have an adjustable torso 'attachment' that goes up or down vertically to settle the shoulder straps at a different height. Then the ability to change the length of each shoulder strap to gink the lengths of each and 'lift' one side v. the other. Sooooooo...not seeing how that plays into your situation, as indeed there are a number of good 65 liter packs out there that could shave 2 pounds or more off your Osprey Aether.

Agree on the BV 475 (which I have) coming in at any empty weight of 36 oz. = 2.3 pounds, and an 8 oz. fuel canister coming in at 13 oz. load weight.

Otherwise I see a pretty similar gear list to what I have whittled down to over the past few years, with not a lot of obvious "slash and burn" culprits. I suspect the camp stool is a quality of life issue (if you get back pain) so worth carrying despite the weight. I did finally ditch my camp shoes and your 11 oz. weight for those is admirably low. I may re-think adding mine back (17 oz.) this season if the creek crossings are all in a long flood stage. The idea of walking through countless water crossings in my main hiking boots and having them sopping wet for days on end will take some consideration.

I wonder what your food load out is??? That is where my total weight saving gets a nice bounce down as I tend to not eat much so can get away with 7 pounds total for a 7 to 10 day trip (yeah I lose body weight)...which brings my total "summer" carry weight with 1.5 pounds of water to around 28.5 pounds. I cannot seem to reduce that any more despite tweaking with a few ounces here and there. In the end, some "luxuries" that vacillate that total weight by 8 ounces or so are generally worth it if the conditions warrant.

Best ~ Michaelzim
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

Quickly:
Poles seem heavy.
Seems like a lot of upper body layers- short sleeve, sun hoody, base layer shirt, R1, puffy. If sun shirt does double duty as base layer and you get lighter fleece (kuiu peloton maybe), and drop the short sleeve you should still be good unless you run pretty cold.
Gloves seem heavy for summer. Powerstretch gloves are like 1.5 oz and pretty warm.
Why two pairs of briefs? Just rinse `em out every couple days, or every day if you like.
Headlamp seems heavy, lots are under 3 oz.
Why the wet wipes? Just bring more santizer.
Is it uncomfortable for you to sit on your bear canister as a stool? If it is not tall enough, a Bearikade expedition would be taller, weigh the same or less, and have more room.
And boy is that a heavy pack. Have you tried on some lighter packs to see if they will work for your back issues? I know scoliosis is no joke, my sister has a fairly severe scoliosis. But trying every possible lighter pack could be worth it if you can find something that will work and save 3 pounds at one whack. Maybe even a custom pack?
Best of luck.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Just a thought...

Most of us older folks are carrying 10 pounds of "good living" around our waist that will make a world of difference if we can muster the will to make that disappear. Furthermore the physical effort to lose weight places us in better shape to suffer the rigors of being a beast of burden.

---------------------

As far as the pack list goes: I learned from scouts and extended mountaineering treks that daily food weight hovers at and above 2 pounds/day. Even that much mass still has most people losing a half pound/day body weight (or more) while out on the trail. Dipping below that limen is a good way to guarantee the trip to be a suffer fest of unnecessary exhaustion.

Some folks save several pounds of kitchen gear foregoing cooked meals. Me? I love my hot food and coffee!

I don't carry a first aid kit per se, I just improvise with what is already in my pack. Likewise I don't carry any electronics, other than a pocket digital camera. But this is quibbling over less than a pound. Meh!

I'd say your kit is trimmed down enough, you should be satisfied and HYOH.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
sbennett3705
Topix Acquainted

Post by sbennett3705 »

Thanks guys, I tuned it up based on your feedback, now 20 lbs base weight without any real compromise as far as I can tell.

https://lighterpack.com/e/q6t2tg

- Ditched the stool in favor of the bear can + sit pad
- Corrected the bear can @ 36 oz, (https://bearvault.com/product/bv475/) I hope they aren't lying!
- Corrected the fuel canister @ 7 oz. ( I hope the small one will be good for six days, dinners and morning coffee only)
- Ditched the upper base layer, will use a combination of hoody, short sleeve shirt, mid-layer and puffy instead
- Left the charger in the car (dah, not many outlets on the trail!)
- Kept the poles despite being a bit heavy, I lean on them heavily and *both* are necessary for the GG tent
- Switched to lighter gloves and hoodie
- Kept the headlamp because I'm cheap and it lasts 5 hours on high, 200 hours on low, no recharging needed
- Kept the backup boxers and wipes (I'm a neat-nick when I slip into the expensive bag at night)
- Kept the pack for now, but with a switch to a GG Mariposa I can drop to 16.44 lbs base weight. I need to investigate if a less adjustable pack will work for me. In my current list, the *pack itself* is the luxury item
- Added food @ 1.5 lbs per day to see the total weight @ 34 lbs, do-able for me (but would love to be under 30 someday)

Thanks again to all, great feedback and advice.
Last edited by sbennett3705 on Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
mkbgdns
Topix Regular

Post by mkbgdns »

a friend and I tried a no-cook 10 day trip years ago. an unexpected + was that once camped, we would stroll to a beautiful spot, sit down, and eat. no stove fiddling or dinner site choice based on wind shelter. many beautiful spots are exposed. another unexpected outcome was that the last few days, we were eating the stuff we'd preferred not to eat earlier (avoided would be too strong a term). I'd recommend eating the non-preferred stuff first, ending on an upswing. I suppose the bottom line was that we didn't do that again. we weren't gram counters, but stove/fuel/pots are quite a few grams.

lifelong (since age 6) diabetic, count calories. found that I ended up eating less than 1.5 lbs/day (I'm 5'10". 150 lb). lose weight but feel good. metabolism may vary from day to day, not always strictly in line with physical effort. since hypoglycemia can mean death, usually walk out with about a day's worth in the pack.
sbennett3705
Topix Acquainted

Post by sbennett3705 »

mkbgdns wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:16 pm a friend and I tried a no-cook 10 day trip years ago.
I’ve been intrigued by this idea for a while. I’m curious what your meals consisted of? I can’t cold soak, I get real stomach issues without heat and full re-hydration. The GreenBelly meals look interesting. I need protein, fat and carbs when I’m hiking. But, I totally agree with reduced appetite at elevation. It’s not good, but it’s a reality. I get a weird craving for pineapple by day 3….
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

sbennett3705 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:40 pm
mkbgdns wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:16 pm a friend and I tried a no-cook 10 day trip years ago.
I’ve been intrigued by this idea for a while. I’m curious what your meals consisted of? I can’t cold soak, I get real stomach issues without heat and full re-hydration. The GreenBelly meals look interesting. I need protein, fat and carbs when I’m hiking. But, I totally agree with reduced appetite at elevation. It’s not good, but it’s a reality. I get a weird craving for pineapple by day 3….
Salami, jerky, the bacon that doesn't need refrigeration and cheese are good cold prep animal proteins. I like to eats these items with bagels. Bagels carry well. Nuts and seeds can provide veggie protein. Oatmeal cookies, peanut butter cookies, nut rolls, brownies and banana bread made with extra egg and nuts can make consuming cold protein more tolerable. Try to avoid a monotonous menu as that really gets old on a cold meal program.

As for the pineapple craving; I find myself always Jonesing for oranges on extended hikes. Perhaps we crave for vitamin C?

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Gogd wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:10 am Just a thought...

Most of us older folks are carrying 10 pounds of "good living" around our waist
.....but that's less food/weight that I have to carry on my back. :lol: :crybaby:
What you said about being in physical shape is true.