Suggestions For Where To Go After Mt Brewer

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Suggestions For Where To Go After Mt Brewer

Post by Lumbergh21 »

After watching the first two "Following in the Footsteps of Brewer" videos and having read "Up and Down in California" in 2020, I have been thinking about a similar hike. I know what I want to do as far as climbing Mt Brewer; the question for me is what to do after?
Without a resupply, I figure I will have half a day after summitting Brewer followed by two full days to get within 8 miles of the car before walking out the next morning and driving home. Anything longer than that and I will be well and truly out of food. I could take a direct route back to Big Meadows basically the way that I came in, and with no dilly dallying make that work. I could descend Brewer to East Lake then Bubbs Creek down to Roads End and Cedar Grove (buy some food) then head up Sheep Creek, over Marvin Pass and down to Weaver Lake. I was wondering if there were any other suggestions? I'm good for 15 to 16 miles per day on trail or 10 to 12 miles per day off trail, and I don't want to do any off trail travel above Class 2.

Thanks!
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Suggestions For Where To Go After Mt Brewer

Post by thegib »

Sphinx lakes are a great place to hang out. And/or descend to Cloud canyon and hang out on either side (W or E) of Whaleback. The teensy lake at 10400' on the E side, or the more southerly of the two lakes near 11000' on the E side of Glacier Ridge are both superb. Cloud canyon, when the water is pouring down from multiple cascade/falls, is spectacular.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

I'll add a vote for Cloud Canyon---the view up the canyon of the Whaleback and beyond is one of my all time favorites in the entire Sierra.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am not sure which side you are going to climb Mt Brewer from. Definitely plan to camp down at Big Brewer Lake at least one night. The sunset and alpenglow are amazing. Then go out via Sphinx Lakes. Good fishing in Sphinx Lake 10546.