info request on easy 2-night backpack for kids (with fishing, fewer bugs)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

info request on easy 2-night backpack for kids (with fishing, fewer bugs)

Post by grampy »

I’m planning a backpack trip in late July for my Arizona-based daughter & son-in-law and two of their kids (ages 10 and 8); we want a destination that is reasonably close to Rock Creek Canyon, as we will have additional family based there (car-camping) while I’m out with my daughter’s family on our hike.
Kids are pretty athletic, but I don’t want to make it overly difficult for their first time, AND I want to allow them plenty of time to fish. Limiting choices to eastern Sierra for various reasons.

My (tentative) first choice is a Bishop Pass permit, but just do an easy lollipop around Long, Ruwau, and Chocolate Lakes (probably camp 2 nights at Ruwau). Alternate ideas are Hilton Lakes (from the TH above Rock Creek Lake) , OR Lamarck & Wonder Lakes

The trail distance and elevation gain all map out in roughly the same ballpark (in theory, anyway) for our Day 1 effort on any of these; ranging from 2.5 to 5 miles and 850 to 1400 feet elevation gain. I haven’t been to any of these, although I am very familiar with Rock Creek and hiking the LLV and Mono Pass trails.

I’m asking specifically if my first choice (Bishop Pass trail) is less likely to be less mosquito-prone than the Hilton Creek lakes (of which Davis Lake is reputedly the worst). But in general, just wondering if I’m missing any details on why any of these wouldn’t be a great “first time in the Sierra” experience. Thanks (in advance).
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: info request on easy 2-night backpack for kids (with fishing, fewer bugs)

Post by balzaccom »

I think that's a good choice. The only concern is that with all the snow this year, mosquitoes might still hnad around in late July.

Another option would be LIttle Lakes Valley--lots of options there, and frankly the terrain is flatter than the Bishop's Pass area, so less climbing.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

In an average snowfall year, the last week of July is typically "shoulder season" for mosquitoes. In a wet year all bets will be off--I was devoured by skeets Labor Day weekend at Big McGee lake in 2017, for example, which was a very wet year. We don't know if the snow is now finished (leaving us about average) or if more is on the way (making this a wet year.) And speed of melt makes a big difference to mosquito production, too--the faster it drys out the faster they go away.

So it is hard to know for sure, but I agree that mosquitoes will be a possible issue for your youngsters last week of July. Location is probably not as relevant as elevation. By late July some of the lower elevation areas may be dried out and mosquito free, but the mosquito band will have moved up in elevation. All the possible destinations you mention are in the 11k vicinity, so either they all will still be above the mosquito zone or possibly all be in it. I'd think about alternative destinations at different elevation levels, perhaps as a back up plan. We'll know a lot more about mosquitoes as we get closer to your date.

Naturally, there are ways to minimize mosquito discomfort even if you get in them--pitching camp higher up, away from green plants, in open, sunny, breezy locations. Hauling water a distance so you are not camped near water. Etc. Picking destinations that allow for this kind of camp may be helpful.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If snow stays late, Bishop Pass has one very sketchy trail section that is downright dangerous until it melts. Late July should be fine. I am not sure if a Bishop Pass permit requires going into Dusy Basin or if you could punt and stay east of Bishop pass.

McGee Creek is nearby Rock Creek. Big McGee Lake has wonderful fishing. The only downside is that it is a long day in. A McGee Creek permit may be easy to get.

Other idea is Duck Lake out of Mammoth. Several lakes south of the pass and Duck Lake has fair fishing, particularly at the outlet- which you can do as a day-hike from the inlet. Pika Lake is the most scenic camping. Duck Lake Pass is easy.

And Rock Creek is another option. Treasure Lakes and Morgan Lake both have good fishing. You could base camp at Gem Lake and day-hike to each.

I have only day-hiked into Hilton Lakes from Rock Creek parking lot. Not sure I can exactly say why, but it seemed less kid-friendly. It was very brushy. I did not go to the lower lakes, but to the upper lakes. Not sure of the fishing.
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

Thank you @balzaccom , @kpeter and @Wandering Daisy for your input !

Yes, I’m aware of the mosquito threat at that time, but I’m constrained by grandkids’ school schedule (back in class the first week of Aug) and my son-in-law’s work schedule, so it is what it is. We will try to camp in more breezy areas, and NOT too close to swampy meadows or lakes. If bugs are horrific, we can always punt and just take them fishing at Crowley Lake or something.

Yeah, the Hilton Creek trail does look (in photos) like a brush/chaparral zone; even if I keep telling them it’ll be nice when we get to the lakes, the kids might not believe me :rolleyes: - so something to consider.
Duck Pass / Lake does look promising; not quite as easy as my tentative options but certainly scenic.
Big McGee is about 3000’ elevation gain and 7 miles from the TH, so I’ll just add that to my “when they get older” list.
I had partially ruled out LLV because of the weekend crowds, but guessing that crowds (especially day hikers) drop off sharply once beyond Chickenfoot Lake; the Gem / Treasure / Morgan Lakes do seem like a good option.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Well, if you are heading for that elevation and need some options, include Sabrina Basin on the list, a very kid friendly zone. Trailhead 9000, Blue Lake 10,400--so a tad lower than Little Lakes Valley. My 9 and 12 year olds made it to Blue Lake pretty easily. However, we went 2nd week of July and the skeets were awful. It was their miserable experience that set me on a path to learn more. I vowed never to repeat that.

I would not consider Big McGee that early. It is a long ways in and the snow stays on the north facing slope to the south of the lake, lengthening skeeter season in that basin.

Little Lakes Valley is great for kids, I even took my college age daughter there. I've camped at Gem Lakes and at Chickenfoot, and have seen people camping off trail at some of the side lakes east of the trail. But permits are difficult to obtain and the place is always crawling with people. My daughter was not impressed with Morgan Pass and the lakes to its east. Getting to Treasure Lakes might not be easy for kids. There are some out-of-the-way camps at Chickenfoot on the north penninsulae. Certainly among the easiest of destinations.

Duck and Pika Lakes are a great destination if the kids are up to it. You can stopping before the pass if necessary. The trail is excellent which makes it somewhat easier for kids.

I can think of half a dozen west side possibilities, but it is outside your geographic range--especially with Yosemite making transit over Tioga difficult.
Last edited by kpeter on Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

I would go to Green Lake from South Lake TH and follow the pipeline then go up to Green Lake. Most likely you will have the whole lake to yourself plus fishing for rainbow is very good. You might catch a 16 inch trout. If you want crowds go to Long Lake or Ruwau. Almost forgot Tyee Lakes is good too, fishing at 5 and 6 can be very good. Good Luck.

Texan
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

Thanks, @texan for your suggestion. Considering Green Lake as a backup; when looking it up, I realized it doesn’t require a permit (not within a Wilderness boundary) so might just take the kids there if we’re able to come up a day or two early.

@kpeter - thank you. I had considered west-side entry (Dinkey Lakes came to mind) but east-side was a requirement, as my wife will come along to stay with my daughter’s youngest child in a campground. Easy access to activities (trail ride out of Rock Creek Pack Station, visiting Mammoth Lakes, etc) helps the 6 year-old feel like she isn’t missing out. West side trailhead destinations usually mean long winding roads, which my wife hates.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Green Lake is good for rainbows and one time they caught a huge trout out of the Brown lake believe it or not, the lake below Green Lake. A forest service person told us about it on our way to Green Lake from South Lake trailhead.

Texan
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Tyee Lakes are a real possibility too. I've hiked up through them and thought the 3rd and 4th lakes were quite nice. A pretty steep climb up to them, though. George Lake is another possibility. Not sure about fishing.