ALDHA-West Ruck Event, Sat. Feb 11th in Berkeley

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

ALDHA-West Ruck Event, Sat. Feb 11th in Berkeley

Post by Flamingo »

Hi Everyone,
The American Long Distance Hiking Association West is hosting their annual Northern California Ruck event on Saturday February 11th, at Camp Herms in Berkeley, CA. It's a day focused on backing education, inspiration, and community. I think this event is highly relevant to lots of folks here on the HST. (In full disclosure, I'm part of ALDHA-West, and I'm helping to organize the event.) :)

Highlights:
  • Personalized Pack Shakedowns -- bring your kit, and get expert advice to swap gear and carry less
  • Trail-specific small group sessions -- get help planning for the PCT, JMT, Tahoe Rim Trail, Ropers Sierra High Route, Camino de Santiago, and other trails
  • An amazing gear raffle, including ultralight backpacks, quilts, and tents from major UL brands (really, in my opinion, the gear raffle alone is worth attending)
  • Breakfast & Lunch, including vegan options
Registration is here: https://www.aldhawest.org/rucks

If you're curious about the ruck, feel free to private message me with questions. We've been organizing this for nearly a decade; in my experience it's always been a fun day where I meet lots of warm-hearted people that share my passion for backpacking.
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: ALDHA-West Ruck Event, Sat. Feb 11th in Berkeley

Post by Jim F »

Flamingo,

Awesome! Thanks for posting about this event. I look forward to attending.

Jim
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: ALDHA-West Ruck Event, Sat. Feb 11th in Berkeley

Post by Jim F »

Today the ruck in Berkeley was well organized and well attended. There were many interesting people with experiences to share. My favorite talk was "How Not To Die" and favorite breakout session was "Hitchhiking Best Practices." The Tri-Tip luncheon was a feast and left me with little room for dinner in the evening.

Jim