Sucks to get older

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sucks to get older

Post by rlown »

Made my doctor order a CBC as he suggested a few months ago to add an Iron supplement to my drug regimen. Got the CBC report yesterday evening. I'm surprised I am alive. Waiting for them to read the numbers and call me but... I'm thinking I'm going to get a blood transfusion. Bad news is that my favorite body parts (feet) are too swollen to put on boots. I can still walk, but it isn't pretty. My drop foot came back (can't lift the right foot up in normal gait form.)

So..... I can still fish. I've no debt, cash on hand and my 401K is ok. I'm gonna buy another boat and fish the heck out of the delta and some of the Sierra lakes!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Sucks to get older

Post by balzaccom »

Welcome to my world, Rlown. Sorry to hear about the results. The good news is that I had a couple of things that really worried my doc three yers ago. They haven't changed--heck, they've even improved--over the past three years. I'm still getting the tests every 6 months, but it's gone from: "you need to get in here right now so we can chat," to "things are still stable and that's really good news."

How did you manage with the high water?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Good Luck with all of that Russ. You seem to have the best possible attitude to setbacks; that is, to take them in stride, and revel in all that is still great in your life:
So..... I can still fish. I've no debt, cash on hand and my 401K is ok. I'm gonna buy another boat and fish the heck out of the delta and some of the Sierra lakes!
I love to think of you trolling the big Sierra Lakes for monsters-- can you get your boat into the beautiful scenery of Twin Lakes, Convict Lake, and Saddlebag?
20 lakes basin 134.JPG
All the Best Russ, Ian and Lizzie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Russ, so sorry to here this. As Harlan said, you have the best possible attitude about how to deal with it. The next time I'm at Saddlebag, South Lake, or any of the other drive-in lakes and I see a boat out there, I'll think it's you.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

balzaccom wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:52 am The good news is that I had a couple of things that really worried my doc three yers ago. They haven't changed--heck, they've even improved--over the past three years. I'm still getting the tests every 6 months, but it's gone from: "you need to get in here right now so we can chat," to "things are still stable and that's really good news."

How did you manage with the high water?
Dr. read the results and I got a call this am. Doctor wants to see me in the office. Sounded ominous until the assistant said the earliest appointment is 2/16 :eek: Guess that means I'm not going to die yet. Liver panel came back stable. Blood work... hmmm. RBC and WBC are low.

If you mean the constant rain we've had, Salmon could have spawned on our gravel driveway. We are far enough away from the consumes river that it has no effect on us. Fridge was packed, generator set to go. It was nice and we needed the rain. Ducks and geese are having a great time in the vernal ponds in the back pasture. All is well. Tomorrow is a lift and shift day to take all the trees/branches to the front pasture for an AG burn probably in March. Tractor with the utility trailer makes all that easier. Even got my ag burn permit ready, and did my online test for the campfire permit as well.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Best wishes, Russ. I know you'll find a way to get some casts on the water, no matter what. And, if things turn around and you get some mobility back, the bright side of things is it looks like the higher Sierra won't open up in 2023 until a bit later than usual, so that buys you some time.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

thinking about an Alumnaweld 18' talon, I've a spot NE of the brothers for leopard, a spot on the way out for jig trolling stripers (funny 3 of us limited on stripers in 20 minutes.) And the Montezuma slough entrance (big hole just out of the mouth and a berm right above the flow. Thrust the boat into the tules to anchor and cast out just beyond the drop off and push a little line out. I love sturgeon. Even closer is Isleton. North of the Rio Vista bridge. Had no clue there were leopard sharks there but my step daughter caught one and on a makeshift bait (salami.) Way too funny.
A cabin would be nice but I've done a sleeping bag and tarp for overnight in worse conditions.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

A friend who lives near Lake Earl in Del Norte informed me that the house next door wants to sell. Guess where Russ is moving. Funny part is my Fidelity broker immediately called me (Has never contacted me in his tenure). He's gonna miss my money I guess. Moving sucks just because of the logistics and the address changes. Still trying to figure out how to move my 20' container there.

The nice thing about this is I have coastal access and nice fishing 100 yds from my "new" house. Also the smith river just over the hill.
It is a multi trip move. Camper, trailer, tractor, implements.
We will see house this plays out. Definitely taking my tractor and implements with me. Bub-bye Fidelity. :moon:
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Congratulations on the new locations. You have my sympathy for the logistics!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Might be an added twist. I like dogs. Simba is getting older. I don't invite a new dog to the house until the last has to go away.
Next dog will be a Vizsla. Always open to new experiences.