Storm Damage

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Storm Damage

Post by balzaccom »

Mother Nature always laughs last. This morning I had finished up breakfast and was talking with a friend on the phone when there was a knock on the door. A neighbor, here to talk about the tree.

What tree?

The one that blow over last night and landed on our house.

Hmmm. I guess I better check that out...

insurance company called. Claim initiated. Tree service called -- and responded in fifteen minutes!

Neighbors reassured.

Time for lunch.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Storm Damage

Post by rlown »

And I live in Wilton. We lost 2 eucs and 2 cedars. Wind was incredible. Power was out for 28 hrs Jan 1st.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Large Cypress tree fell into swimming pool, top 8-feet hit the roof, broke off, damaged eaves. Just got tree cut up and out of pool and out a few hours ago. Pool still a mess. Getting quotes on roof work. Across the street, neighbors larger tree fell between two houses- luckily no home damage except crashed fence. The same tree company did both of our removals. The expression "waiting for the other shoe to drop" has become "waiting for the other trees to fall".
Last edited by Wandering Daisy on Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

You Lowlanders need tougher trees:

"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Tahoe Jeff- how has it been up there? I see that many roads are closed and pretty bad right now. Hope you are doing OK.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Thank God it is only property damage, and not people damage to our members.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

WD, I think the lower elevations have it way worse with all the water. than we do up here with the snow. Schools and highways have been closed on and off, and power has gone out, but it sure beats getting flooded or swept away.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I tracked some mud inside the house again yesterday. I've had to mop like, way more often.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Checking in from Torrance, Ca., a suburb located along the west coast of Los Angeles. Torrance seems to be in a weather bubble. And I am very grateful of it. We have a couple of places where streets flooded in previous years, but haven't had such this season. In fact the storms have given us only a quarter of the predicted precipitation. But WOW, what is going on up north is quite amazing. Hope all are coping, and that everyone has resources to address disruptions to transportation and utilities.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

When the power went out in Wilton on 12/31, The cacophony of different generator brands running was amazing. As I live in a travel trailer, the 30A service was simple. Start up generator, put in plug and everything onboard works. Even without the genset, my lights, furnace, stove, fridge run on LPG. The only thing that doesn't is the satellite receiver, internet router and TV's. Genset hookup also charges the battery for a prolonged outage. Battery lasts about 30 hours before it needs to recharge if not on shore power. Lots of standing water on the property. Still too wet/muddy to clean up the downed trees. Waiting until the clearing trend starts next week. They issued a mandatory evacuation shortly after the storm hit and before the next storm. No one left.