TR: Lamarck Col 6/21/22-6/25/22

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rjszanto
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Lamarck Col 6/21/22-6/25/22

Post by rjszanto »

I think this is my first TR here, or at least my first attempt at a thorough one, although you can be the judge of that.

I normally manage to squeeze in just 1 week long trip to the Sierra each year but I had friends who retired and were hiking the PCT this year. They had joined a trip I had organized to Whitney in 2021 and we conceived of this plan to join them on a resupply. As it turned out, we only needed to bring them a couple of days of food, a ground tarp and some juice to recharge both of their phones, but I think we were of some help.

Our trip started with a drive from Phoenix to North Lake. We have a tradition to hit TKB Bakery in Indio on the way. We were shocked to see what had been a top 5 Yelp! "dive" in a warehouse district got a serious upgrade with a new location close to the freeway. While they've gone a little more mainstream, the place is better than ever and I highly recommend it to anyone passing through Indio on the I-10.
1 TKB Outside.jpg
We arrived to the trail head around 3 pm with a goal of making camp around Upper Lamarck Lake.
3 North Lake Parking Lot.jpg
I don't know why but the pyramid above Lower Lamarck Lake is one of my favorite views in the area - somehow always reminds me of the Paramount Logo.
6 West of Lower Lamarck.jpg
The next day as we were leaving Upper Lamarck Lake it looked as though we might see some weather.
8 Leaving Upper Lamarck.jpg
9 Snow Above Upper Lamarck Lake.jpg
And then the snow started.
11 Above Upper Lamarck.jpg
One of my favorite stretches on the way to Lamarck Col - a remarkably exposed section.
12 Exposed on the way to the Col.jpg
Nearing the tarn below the Col.
14 Nearing the Col.jpg
The Col was in sight - you can make out the path across the snowfield at least.
16 Col in Sight.jpg
17 approaching the Col.jpg
It doesn't look like it hear but the path was about waist deep here.
19 snowfield below the Col.jpg
Finally, we made the Col but we were a bit surprised at Darwin Canyon...
20 the col.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rjszanto
Topix Novice

Re: TR: Lamarck Col 6/21/22-6/25/22

Post by rjszanto »

Looking North of the Col - we couldn't even see the lakes below.
21 North of the Col.jpg
Finally the lakes started to become visible.
22 Darwin Lakes.jpg
23 more Darwin Lakes.jpg
I labeled this picture Mt Darwin but I think it is actually Mt Mendel or perhaps a pyramidal formation spur off of Mendel.
24 Mt Darwin.jpg
The weather cleared up pretty quickly as we descended into Darwin Canyon.
25 Darwin Lakes.jpg
26 Darwin Lakes.jpg
But looking back the Col continued to be pretty obscured.
27 Looking back to the Col.jpg
The next day was beautiful. I love the contrast of the blue sky and the varied colors of Darwin Bench.
28 Darwin Bench.jpg
29 Darwin Bench.jpg
We picked our way through the bench but there are so many little paths through here we got off the main trail frequently. I think we needed to stay more to the NW side of the bench but kept veering off more to the south and taking some dicey steps down before we found the trail.
30 Evolution Valley.jpg
31 coming down from DB.jpg
Eventually we made it down into Evolution Valley and forded the creek.
32 Evolution Creek.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rjszanto
Topix Novice

Post by rjszanto »

After fording the creek, we met up with our friends doing the PCT. Although there was some light rain, we enjoyed catching up with them by a toasty fire at the junction of the JMT and the Goddard Canyon Trail.

Our packs a little bit lighter after delivering a resupply, we continued down the JMT as we made our way along the San Joaquin and then up Piute Canyon.
33 Evo Creek to San Joaquin.jpg
33 San Joaquin.jpg
34 Piute Canyon.jpg
We stopped short of Humphrey's Basin as we were threatened with rain again. We made camp quickly as a thunderstorm rolled through.
35 Up Piute.jpg
The last day of the hike we were treated to some spectacular views of Humphrey's Basin.
36 Humphrey's Basin.jpg
As we ventured north of Summit Lake, though, we could see another storm threatening. We were obliged to quicken our pace up to Piute Pass.
37 North of Summit Lake.jpg
38 Humphrey's Storm.jpg
Nearing Piute Pass we were treated to some wonderful views but then we started to hear some thunder approaching and decided to descend quickly.
39 east of Summit Lake.jpg
On the other side of the pass, we were surprised to still see some snow fields to cross.
40 over Piute Pass.jpg
41 north fork of Bishop Creek.jpg
The Piute Lakes were pretty and thanks to the inhospitable weather we saw very few hikers on our way down.
42 Piute Lakes.jpg
As we approached the end of our loop, we took one last look to the north at the mountain ridge separating us from the Lamarck Lakes that marked the start of our trip.
43 last look at the mountains north of Lamarck.jpg
All in all, it was a great trip, although shorter than we had planned. I was a bit apprehensive at the start up to Lamarck Col, but it turned out to be a lot of fun. We were plenty warm, never in danger and in hindsight the snow turned out to be a highlight of the trip. Before this trip, I've only done the Sierra in August or early September. But given the fires of the past few years and the reduced snow, I think I may need to start skewing my visits to June.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

:) Cool report. June before the mosquitoes hit is my favorite time in the Sierra. Looks like you nailed the timing.

Sorry you got robbed of the view going over the Col, that one is certainly one of my favorite.
20220619_195942.jpg
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Perfect timing for this report and excellent photo documenting too!
I have been future tripping of your exact route for a first early season hike if the snows and weather permit sometime in late May or early June. Yes, likely more snow than you encountered but by sticking to the "freeway" trails after Darwin Bench it can add a margin of 'safety', etc. The less traveled part will be Lamarck Col.

Your photo (number 7) titled: "One of my favorite stretches on the way to Lamarck Col - a remarkably exposed section." is just the place I was pondering this morning as to what it may look like with a lot more snow on it! I recall the "exposure" there too (of which I am not a big fan) and have a question for anyone if they have done that in deep snow and how queasy it is??? *[So as not to hijack this thread please PM me]. It reminded me of a lesser version of some parts of Forester Pass...wherein I could envision sliding off into oblivion if lots of icy white stuff clogging the trail.

Thanks much for posting ~ Michaelzim
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

Michaelzim - i have come out over Lamarck col from a ski trip in a heavy snow year. I did not come down where the use trail goes; i bore right off the plateau at around 12k and dropped into thr draw that leads pretty much straight down to Grass lake. I did that specifically to avoid the steep stuff you mention, and if i was going up there over the snow i would take that same line in reverse.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

rz.
Thanks for a real nice Trip Report full of pictures. I really love the way you've included the amazing clouds, and skies in your images. Nice trip, thanks for the report, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Thanks for sharing this. I appreciate your perseverance crossing Lamarck Col in a snowstorm. wowza.