TR: North South Lake with a Detour through Ionian Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: North South Lake with a Detour through Ionian Basin

Post by grampy »

Great report ! Thanks for the maps (and photos); the one captioned “Light on Isosceles” is especially stunning.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I missed this one when you posted. I was in the Wind Rivers in 2022 for the summer and did not read all the Sierra trip reports. I also really appreciated the maps, thanks for doing that. I climbed Goddard from the west side years ago. Chasm Lake is really an oasis! I went over Black Giant Pass after a very high snowpack year in the late 1990's and did not find it difficult. The creek flowing from the lake below Wanda Pass down to Chasm still flowed under a snowfield! even in late August. I have a permit this summer to go into Ionian from Florence Lake. It will be my fourth time. Always nice to read a recent trip report. I am debating if I will go over Wanda Pass or not- I never have done it.
cjt93
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cjt93 »

Wandering Daisy

Chasm Lake did not disappoint! It was my main purpose in visiting the Basin and had a very unique oasis feel to it.

There were quite a few misses this trip in reflection - did not climb Scylla/Ragged Spur, did not explore lakes south of Black Giant Pass/Lake 11828, did not climb Black Giant, did not reach Mt Agassiz peak, and did not explore Paslisade Basin. Plenty of reason to return, but also illustrates my tendency to add too many trip goals.

I hope to make it back to the Ionian area again in the future to do Scylla/Ragged Spur, Lake 10232 on the way to the Tunemah area. I think you posted a great trip report (as usual) covering a similar route from Florence over Reinstein to Tunemah/Blue Canyon.