2023 High Snowpack Conditions: Jinxing snow discussion

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: 2023 High Snowpack Conditions: Jinxing snow discussion

Post by texan »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:22 am The percent average figures shown on the CDEC website for northern, central, and southern Sierra do not show snow depths, which really are what we as backpackers are interested in. Even though the southern Sierra has a higher percent average, their "average" is less than central or northern Sierra. If you go to the snow sensor basin reports, you get a better idea of snow depth or water equivelant. For early season trips, the southeastern Sierra may still be the best bet for trail conditions even though higher elevations. The high elevations do result in slower melt. The danger in the northern Sierra is that more absolute snow also melts faster due to the lower elevations, making river crossings dangerous. The CDEC website also lists probable peak runoff dates, although it is for the lower gages on the major rivers. Probable peak runoff is earlier for lower elevation watersheds.

I have been surprised that more information on the big avalanche that covered 395 north of Lee Vining has not been in the news much. Right now getting to Lee Vining from the north is nearly impossible. Also, passes are likely to be late opening. So those of us in the north may have longer drives to east side trailheads early season. I would not be surprised if there will be some road damage to trailhead access. Another thing to consider when getting early season permits. Lots of impacts from this epic snow year are still in the works.
Your right WD about the big avalanche north of Lee Vining not much news at all, but I the word is 1/2 mile long and 40 feet deep of snow. On facebook parchers resort in South Lake by Bishop, showed them plowing the road after the intersection on the south fork and middle fork to go to South Lake. The snow was way above the snowblow. Parcher's said the base depth is over 135inches too. This winter is crazy they just broke the record by Donner Pass at CSSL too for second highest annual snowfall. With over 670 inches there now. They said the record is 810 or 815 inches from 51-52 winter that's dependable data. That's a lot of snow.

Texan
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

The last time snow avalanched across US395 was during the big February 1986 storm. Skied Mammoth with a group the following weekend and there was still snow piled up beside the western lake edge. This year's avalanche was much bigger. Big storm today Tuesday 3/21/23 will add several feet of snow to Southern Sierra areas. Most of the large old avalanche path and debris remains we've seen the last 3 decades were from the 1986 storm, especially along canyon bottoms. Some places had to monkey through such log piles. Early thru hikers are in for a surprise getting stuck at big stream flows like Bear Creek then having to reverse to hike out.

Today's storm will also ensure Southern California wildflower areas like Antelope Valley, Gorman, Fergusson Mtn, Cottonwood Canyon, and Carrizo Plain, will have big robust plants and blooms just like during 2003 because this time of spring while plants have begun rising is most critical. Will be going up skiing at Heavenly the next couple days as the storm wanes but real soon will be getting out my big tripod and photo gear for long road trips south.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Here is a hopeful outlook from NOAA. Minor to moderate flooding expected in the Sierra. As backpackers, of course, we do not want to encounter ANY flood risk, but maybe we will have a way to time it?
https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/sprin ... ef-to-come
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

The skiers can no doubt tell us more, but I just heard a TV report that said that Mammoth has announced it will stay open for skiing into July. It has stayed open to July before, but has never been able to announce the decision so early.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

kpeter wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:33 am The skiers can no doubt tell us more, but I just heard a TV report that said that Mammoth has announced it will stay open for skiing into July. It has stayed open to July before, but has never been able to announce the decision so early.
In 1995 Mammoth closed on August 14th, which was its longest season, lets see if they can go longer this year. They might do it.

Texan
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

texan wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:14 pm In 1995 Mammoth closed on August 14th, which was its longest season, lets see if they can go longer this year. They might do it.

Texan
That same summer China Peak (then called Sierra Summit) ran the main lift on the morning of July 1st and about a dozen of the off-season employees did a single full mountain run.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:39 pm
texan wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:14 pm In 1995 Mammoth closed on August 14th, which was its longest season, lets see if they can go longer this year. They might do it.

Texan
That same summer China Peak (then called Sierra Summit) ran the main lift on the morning of July 1st and about a dozen of the off-season employees did a single full mountain run.
I didn't know about that at Sierra Summit. Thanks for sharing that info. That's cool. I grew up in Bakersfield so I have skied Sierra Summit many times. I wonder when Kaiser Pass road opened in 1995. We used to go to Bear Creek and fish there all time. Bear Diversion Dam is great TH to get into the wilderness, plus if you like big creek or small river fishing Bear Creek is great. In 1995, I lived in Colorado and did one trip back to the Sierras in Emigrant Wilderness the last week of August and there was snow everywhere. I couldn't believe how much snow there was. I live in Chandler now and make a few trips to the Sierras but I will wait this year for a while to see how the snow melts.

Texan
tgn1461
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by tgn1461 »

Shot a few pictures of the Sierra snow from an airliner headed to SFO yesterday (3/24/23).
IMG_2782.jpg
IMG_2781.jpg
IMG_2780.jpg
IMG_2779.jpg
IMG_2778.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Good golly I just noticed the Y axis of the snow graphs was pushed another 50% to 350%!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Mammoth Mountain:
With 28-30” of snow since yesterday afternoon, we just blew through our all-time season snowfall record of 668”. We’ve received 695” of snowfall to date at Main Lodge, making the 22/23 season the biggest in our history! 🤯
To our employees, to this community, to all of you who have battled the elements this season - YOU are the stuff of legends. Thank you, thank you, thank you. 💪🏽 It’s going to be a legendary spring up here and we’ll be open daily through at least July!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org