TR: Mammoth Touring 12/16-12/19 2022

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: Mammoth Touring 12/16-12/19 2022

Post by Love the Sierra »

Another fantastic trip ski touring around mammoth. The ES Avalanche Assoc was going crazy with avalanche warnings. The snow was fluffy powder like in CO, an absolute delight to ski in!
@Gogd Thanks for your guidance on skis.
Also, thanks to @c9h13no3 (Despite the comment about tele skis only being for old people ;) ) for reminding me to look at the almighty aspect!!! I had been so consumed with slope angle, I totally forgot that it is reasonably safe on S--W aspects.
My Jasmine Rose was skijoring again every day and what a great puller that mighty dog is, even when breaking trail, up steep hills, in deep powder!!
Finally, We skied up the unnamed dome 9610', South of Mammoth. The Mammoth Pass trail passes right under the south of it. From the top, looking NW We saw the incredible view seen here. I would guess that the closest mountains are Minarets, Banner, Ritter and Davis. Who can tell me, please, the others in the view?
P1070272.JPG
P1070268.JPG

I think that all of you will recognize the remainder of the pictures.
Happy holidays to all of you!
Aura
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Love the Sierra on Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Re: TR: Mammoth Touring 12/16-12/19 2022

Okay, so the web site is not cooperating and everyone is calling me to dinner so, hopefully, even with all of the pics out of order, you can still enjoy and still let me know what we saw from our dome 9610.
Thanks!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Aura,

Yes, definitely the second photo is a close-up of Ritter and Banner while your last shot includes Ritter and Banner (on the right) with the Minarets stretching to the left of them. I think you timed this perfectly, because the recent storms will probably increase the avalanche risk for a while!
Happy New Year! Cameron
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

@cgundersen Cameron, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Thanks for the confirmation. It was one of those magical Sierra surprises because the view had been totally hidden by some trees. However, I always try to go up ahead “just to the next turn to see what is up there” and what we found was breathtaking!
Now I have to do an early trip to Thousand Island and that area, before the road opens!
Also, thanks for the ideas on the bears. (I know this is off topic) Neither of the choices of either dicey route finding from Lake Edison or two xc passes, with a full pack, are good. I try to save that more difficult stuff for layover days. It is hard enough with a pack, add in the xc element and it seems scary hard for me. …But WOW! If I could do it!!! :)