SEKI Loop, Sept 12-20, 2022

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

SEKI Loop, Sept 12-20, 2022

Post by CAMERONM »

Sequoia-Kings Canyon Loop, September 13-20; 64 miles, 17,000 ft, 8 days.

A rare convergence leads to a trip: I have some free time; my son is available to join me; the weather forecast is good; and there are no fires. I plan a loop hike that is essentially half-Sierra High Route (off trail) and JMT/Rae Lakes trail, with many small diversions I have never done before along the way. The map below shows the final journey where we simplified and did not do most of the diversions I had hoped for.
This post is a very short version; you can view the entire trip report here:
https://www.trailnamebackstroke.com/seki-loop
SEKI OVERALL.jpg
2022-09-13 17.34.35-1.jpg
We time the hike to jump in at the earliest moment where the weather clears up, knowing that the first day could be a bit wet. The Copper Creek Trail is a brutal 5,500’ foot high-altitude ascent to the first camp, so the lack of sun on the first day is actually a welcome circumstance.
2022-09-14 06.58.26.jpg
We camp just short of Granite Lake on a slightly higher flat area, nevertheless we are next to a bog which means that in the morning all of our equipment is absolutely soaked wet, and it is damn cold.
2022-09-15 11.14.34.jpg
The largest of the Horseshoe Lakes has a giant rock making an excellent place to camp and to sun and swim.
2022-09-15 15.12.03.jpg
I particularly enjoy the sequence between Gray pass and Red Pass. There is a nice small lake and basin with a great distant view, and an enchanting waterfall and pool area just above that I somehow missed the last time I came through here.
2022-09-15 15.14.08.jpg
CLIFFOUT.jpg
We spend a day with a cliffout misadventure dropping from Cataract Creek Pass on our way to Upper Basin Pass. We tried to skirt Ampitheater lake across the south. I am fairly sure it is possible, but after some exploration time, my son became severely anxious and so we had to go back to where we started and go around the west side and only then east to Upper Basin Pass. I go into detail about this on my website and also a posting I will make about Cataract and Upper Basin passes.
2022-09-18 11.23.07.jpg
We go over Upper Basin Pass to see the JMT and the majestic Upper Basin below. Split Mountain is in the distance; we had hoped to climb it. Reeve's shoes were delaminating; his pack was falling apart; and my gold crown fell out, so decided to accelerate our trip home.
2022-09-18 11.37.34.jpg
2022-09-20 08.43.00.jpg
Our final day is a long 16 mile march from the JMT and along the west and south sides of the Rae Lakes loop. I sometimes do not enjoy the last-day-out hikes, but this was beautiful and easy.
You can view the entire trip report here:
https://www.trailnamebackstroke.com/seki-loop
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: SEKI Loop, Sept 12-20, 2022

Post by wsp_scott »

I read your blog post and I appreciate the details and the photos. I really like the first morning photo with the frosty meadow, very beautiful, but I would not want to wake up there :)

I like the idea of Amphitheater Lake -> Upper Basin Crossing -> Upper Basin as a way to avoid the Golden Staircase, but your photos don't make it look very enjoyable with a pack.

Too bad about the equipment issues, but it looks like a great/memorable trip with your son, thanks for sharing
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

THANKS! - An impressive trip in my book, and beautiful photos too. I'm also impressed those "running shoes" held up to where they did given the terrain they had to deal with...I wonder if your 'string fix' lasted all the way back to the TH???

Best ~ Michaelzim
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I really enjoyed your report, especially the photos. Thanks for posting.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Yes, the string did the job, although it had to be redone each day. Some may think that duct tape would do the trick- no true! It is overrated and nasty stuff. I like tying and sewing, and always have repair items with me.
Running shoes do just fine, even off-trail.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Thanks for sharing this TR, and I enjoyed reading the longer report on your website. The gear failures are so relatable, and I laughed out loud when I saw your picture of the paracord shoe repair.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

A key to ultralight is not "pack your fears". But as for contingency planning and repairs, I am all in.
"Be Prepared"- I was well inculcated.
"Do a Good Turn Daily"- does not happen some days...
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Sometimes the good turn is "left" as your son ultimately prevailed on your descent to Amphitheater Lake.

I too like the section between Gray and Red Pass; it is the more pleasant fork of Cartridge Creek. And yes, amazing trail building. On my first time through I kept remembering Roper noting that an early Sierra Club outing took this route to Marion Lake. So a surprising amount of trail inlay, and, wherever in doubt on route selection I went where I figured horses could go and had an easy time of it.

And good work on your repairs at camp 5. In the old days we could just wrap the pack in a tarp and diamond hitch it to frame; need a bit more creativity today. How did the shoe hold on the ascent of Upper Basin Crossing? And do you carry dental repair kit or just tough it out? I have a few aging crowns and wonder if I should add to my 1st aid/repair kit.

And a route question: I was atop Upper Basin Crossing a few days before you (crossing east to west) and ultimately bailed. What I thought was the ramp descending from the pass petered out. I could see a ledge below me, maybe 30' downclimb. I got partway down that and it was too crumbly for my comfort - if that lower ledge didn't go I wasn't sure I could get back up. How far south from the low spot do you need to go to find the southerly ramp? Or maybe I was on it and just got spooked by the down climb at the end?

Thanks for sharing all the grit of your adventure.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

stevet wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:27 am horses could go and had an easy time of it.
There are some pretty obvious sections of trail. I found a horseshoe when I was going up to White Pass and figured it must have been from that old Sierra Club trip.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

@stevet. I don't know if I can answer your question about Upper Basin Crossing properly. In my photos you see a slab/ledge with a hard wall to the south. That is the side that some may argue is class-2. Just 30 ft to the north is probably the "crumbly" part you are referring to. I found it solid, and more importantly, my son was not concerned climbing up it, and as it definitely involves climbing with hands, I argue that this pass is class-3. There is no real exposure. I can well see how the eastern approach downclimb might spook some people.
Crazy-Glue works just fine for repairing crowns, or so they say...