no Ansel Adams Permits right now?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
narc1370
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

no Ansel Adams Permits right now?

Post by narc1370 »

Anyone know why you can't pull a permit for next season to any of the Ansel Adams TH's? Minaret, High, JMT, etc all have 0's next to them.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: no Ansel Adams Permits right now?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is too early if "0" in the box. Maybe they do not start the reservation system for 2023 in 2022. Look at the Inyo NF website- you may find an answer there.
JayOtheMountains
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by JayOtheMountains »

Straight out-a recreation.gov
January 1, 2023 - April 30, 2023 Non-Quota season when number of people per day is unlimited. Book a permit up to 2 weeks in advance. Trails that show zero are affected by a road closure.
That said, the window for reserveable permits is from now until 6-months from now. Beyond that, they're not available. The farthest from today (12/20/22) that you could reserve anything is June 20, 2023.

For trips before quota season and reservations, I'd guess if you call the district or local ranger station for that area they'd issue you a permit; however with a closed road, you're going to have to park where they tell you (it may not be at the closure site) and have to hoof it/ski it that additional distance. Planning out beyond May 1, they sometimes don't initiate availability until after the new year.

You can certainly always call the ranger station for the best information. recreation.gov is ran by a contractor and they sometimes are bound by the rules they are contracted under (awaiting direction, perhaps), whereas the ranger station has decision authority. If you're trying to sneak in a trip before May 1, you should just contact the local office.

For permits that originate in SEKI or Yosemite( HST, JMT, & etc), as of today 12/20/22, there is permit reservations available form May 26-June 20 as of right now. Beyond 6 months they are not reserveable.

For winter trips, I usually contact the closest ranger station to the trailhead.
narc1370
Topix Acquainted

Post by narc1370 »

Thank you for the replies, I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. You may be correct Wandering Daisy. I have a trip planned, leaving on June 19th, 2023. When I went on at 7am on December 19th, all the trailheads in Inyo were available except for the ones originating in Mammoth. Those trailheads all had 0's. When I went on this morning to push my start date to June 20th, everything is available except for any trip originating out of Mammoth. I'm assuming something is blocking those reservations? I'll try and give Inyo a call
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

yeah - as I recall, when the reservable permits are gone, there's a "W" in the box, not a "0"
narc1370
Topix Acquainted

Post by narc1370 »

Wow... Just talked to the ranger. All trailheads along Reds Meadow road will be closed for road construction and tree removal. The ranger did not give specific dates for this closure, but stated, the company contracted to do the work did not give a specific time frame, but if she was me, she would plan on the road being closed for the entire 2023 season. The trails are not closed, just the trailheads. The closese trailheads to access the backcountry would by Red Cones and/or Rush Creek.
JayOtheMountains
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by JayOtheMountains »

Yeah, they assess the Mammoth situation a little later due to potential snowfall. Here's some noise to click on (NPS Red's Meadow Road Historical open/close date; FS Red's Meadow Closure Notice).

Basically the agencies know and understand that there are variables in play. I'd keep an eye out for permit availability. Usually it's a little bit after road open that the shuttles start running back there, that's not to say you can't drive in, but expect it to require an alpine start with limited parking when it does open. You're likely going to see that "0" in the box for a bit further still.

You could also seek a permit on Mammoth Pass or Duck Pass, but they're usually snow-bound until end of June early July.
narc1370
Topix Acquainted

Post by narc1370 »

JayOtheMountains wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:38 am Yeah, they assess the Mammoth situation a little later due to potential snowfall. Here's some noise to click on (NPS Red's Meadow Road Historical open/close date; FS Red's Meadow Closure Notice).

Basically the agencies know and understand that there are variables in play. I'd keep an eye out for permit availability. Usually it's a little bit after road open that the shuttles start running back there, that's not to say you can't drive in, but expect it to require an alpine start with limited parking when it does open. You're likely going to see that "0" in the box for a bit further still.

You could also seek a permit on Mammoth Pass or Duck Pass, but they're usually snow-bound until end of June early July.
The Ranger said prepare for the road to be closed the entire season. There will be no shuttle service. There will be no private vehicle entry.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I went in Agnew Meadow two years ago when the road was closed. It really was not that difficult. It is all downhill on the way in and only takes about an hour. It is a bit of uphill coming out, but then my pack was light. Going in and out of Reds Meadows would be more or a problem, especially for all the PCT hikers who want to go out to Mammoth to resupply. They would have to go out to Mammoth from Agnew trailhead, which is not that bad for them because at least it does not require them to go off-route- just adds a day to when they can go out. I wonder how the Reds Meadow store can survive with no business for a year.

If you want to go south from Reds Meadows, there is a trail from Horseshoe Lake to the PCT. Getting into Minaret Lake would be a much longer walk but you could also go in from the north via Iceberg Lake -Cecile Lake, if you have the off-trail skills.

I would hope that if the road is closed all year, the FS would redistribute the permits from non-usable trailheads to the other nearby trailheads. There are ways around this closure, but I see the bigger problem is getting permits if they do not change the quotas.

Even in a non-construction year, the Devils Postpile road often does not open before 4th July weekend. But for now, they do not know when weather will allow start of construction so it is all uncertain. Once construction starts, they may have a better idea of when it will be finished.
narc1370
Topix Acquainted

Post by narc1370 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:46 am
I would hope that if the road is closed all year, the FS would redistribute the permits from non-usable trailheads to the other nearby trailheads. There are ways around this closure, but I see the bigger problem is getting permits if they do not change the quotas.

Even in a non-construction year, the Devils Postpile road often does not open before 4th July weekend. But for now, they do not know when weather will allow start of construction so it is all uncertain. Once construction starts, they may have a better idea of when it will be finished.
That is my concern as well. Reds Meadow road has some of the most popular trailheads in the Sierra and a lot of people access those trailheads. Now that population of people will be utilizing the remaining trailheads which means more competition to get those trailhead permits.

The ranger said they have to finish the tree work on Reds Meadow Road before they even begin the construction on the road, so even an average snowpack will mean they wont start cutting trees until around the beginning of July.