Single-wall trekking pole tent?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Single-wall trekking pole tent?

Post by kpeter »

Why is this not under the Outdoor Gear Topix? Probably would be best to have it there in case someone went to that category to learn about tents--this would be a great thread to have available for such a person.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

For folks who use trekking pole tents, do you find you have to adjust their height inch or two each day from what you use when on the trail versus what the tent needs to stay upright/taught?
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by shawnterustic »

I also have Gossamer Gear's The One tent, which I started using two summers ago after being a pretty die-hard Fly Creek fan. I love the smaller size and weight, and like the tent's orientation, with the door on the long side. I find that it's plenty tall enough for me to sit up inside / change / read a book for several hours while a torrential downpour unleashes its fury (ahem).

My longest stint with it so far was a 9-day trip during which it stormed and hailed for several days. The gnarliest day involved setting up on a bench above Helen Lake, well above treeline, during a very windy torrential downpour with bonus hail. Still set that sucker up in 5 minutes with a good pitch (I was highly motivated).

Do I have to think a little harder about campsite selection? Sure, but honestly, I experienced plenty of condensation with my Fly Creek over the years, so I'm used to being thoughtful about where I place my tent. Is it a wee bit more annoying when you're dealing with using guylines and rocks rather than stakes on occasion? I guess, but really, I've never wished I had my Fly Creek instead (yes, even in that monster storm). Am I worried about snapping a trekking pole? Not really; I carry duct tape and can MacGuyver if need be!

My general tips to making The One work for me, rather than against me, in the Sierra:

- avoid camping too close to water or in depressions / swampy areas
- get to the area where I want to camp before dark, just in case I have to putz for a minute figuring out the dreamiest site
- leave the tent flaps (I usually do both, but even 1 is better than nothing) rolled back for max ventilation and the least amount of condensation
- try to center yourself in the tent (or sidle up on the door side), so that you're not rubbing directly against the walls
- if it rains while I'm in the tent, I get out afterward and re-tighten lines to ensure it bounces back; this is less of a problem if you have the fancy cuben fiber version instead of silnylon
- I always use the guylines at the head and foot of the tent, which pulls the wall further from my head / feet

Basically, I love this sucker and plan to take it with me this summer when I'm in the Sierra for a month doing guidebook updates & research!

@sambieni - I wrote pole height on my tent's stake bag with permanent marker so I don't have to think about it when setting up camp, and just hike with my poles at my preferred hiking length during the day. I prefer adjustable poles unless I'm trail running and am using lightweight Z poles, so they work just fine for me!