High Sierra Named Basins?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
neckbeard7
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

High Sierra Named Basins?

Post by neckbeard7 »

Silly question here but is there a list anywhere of all the named basins in the high sierra? An overly simplistic project of mine is to work toward visiting (backpacking to) them all :). Thanks in advance!
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Re: High Sierra Named Basins?

Post by TurboHike »

I am not aware of such a list, but it should be easy to create by typing the word "basin" into the HST search box. I think the members here have visited collectively all of the basins in the High Sierra! I say this in the most sincere way, not trying to be that guy who says do a search...
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

neckbeard7 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:14 am Silly question here but is there a list anywhere of all the named basins in the high sierra? An overly simplistic project of mine is to work toward visiting (backpacking to) them all :). Thanks in advance!
The only similar thing I can think of is @John Dittli's project to visit all the "headwaters" of the major rivers of the Sierra. Why one cares about the first water to flow into a river, rather than the mountains (it is the mountains that makes the whole thing special!) one will never know.

He has extensive photo reports of his trips on the Book of Faces. But then you have to put up with his crotchety old man BS.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

c9h13no3 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:38 pm
neckbeard7 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:14 am Silly question here but is there a list anywhere of all the named basins in the high sierra? An overly simplistic project of mine is to work toward visiting (backpacking to) them all :). Thanks in advance!
The only similar thing I can think of is @John Dittli's project to visit all the "headwaters" of the major rivers of the Sierra. Why one cares about the first water to flow into a river, rather than the mountains (it is the mountains that makes the whole thing special!) one will never know.

He has extensive photo reports of his trips on the Book of Faces. But then you have to put up with his crotchety old man BS.
Exactly where is the crotchety old man BS. Maybe because I are one I don't see it. Seems like his project was a great way to see the best of the Sierra.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

C9 writes: The only similar thing I can think of is John Dittli's project to visit all the "headwaters" of the major rivers of the Sierra. Why one cares about the first water to flow into a river, rather than the mountains (it is the mountains that makes the whole thing special!) one will never know.
I'll take a stab at it C9:

I reckon that John Dittli has a pretty deep appreciation for all things water, due to his many years spent in the High Sierra, including all of those ski tours deep into the range, doing winter snowpack surveys. I think that gives John the sort of holistic understanding of the connections between the mountains and rivers.... the vision of the mountains attracting the rain and snow, that both create the rivers that run to the sea, and also, in no small part, are responsible for carving the mountains you love. When Dittli et al. are looking at the headwaters, their view does not stop at the curving bowls of the highest basins, but continues upward to the cirque glaciers and snowfields attached to the mountains.

I'm reminded of Gary Snyder's ongoing work of poetry titled Mountains and Rivers Without End; and also-- the time honored tradition of making a pilgrimage to the headwaters, or birthplace, of rivers.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

Harlen wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:49 pmI reckon that John Dittli has a pretty deep appreciation for all things water
At risk of derailing this guy's thread, I meant it more in the general sense. It's a common way to address the highest lakes in a drainage. Maybe people like touring "headwaters" because they don't have to cross a major divide? IDK. Could just be a California, water obsessed thing.
oldranger wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:53 pm Exactly where is the crotchety old man BS.
I realize you feel the need to be defensive as a crotchety old guy yourself, but don't worry. I don't think any less of you old farts ;). (I don't think that much to begin with)
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

Well, heck, before we get too far off the OT, lets just start the list!
Red Mountain
Red Rock
Ionian
Kaweah
Humphreys
Evolution
Upper
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

paul wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:18 pm Well, heck, before we get too far off the OT, lets just start the list!
Red Mountain
Red Rock
Ionian
Kaweah
Humphreys
Evolution
Upper
Assuming the "High Sierra" is from Tower Peak to Cirque Peak... (see, we define mountain ranges by peaks not water!). Also what constitutes a "basin"?

I think the farthest north "basin" is probably 20 Lakes Basin. followed by the 10 Lakes Basin (which is, obviously, only half as good). Something like the Dorothy Lake area could maybe be a basin, but I don't think I've ever seen the lakes referred to as such.
neckbeard7
Topix Novice

Post by neckbeard7 »

Hi All,

Thanks all for the input, and yes, you are right probably the best way to do this is just looking at some topo maps and identifying the named Basins. Here is what I have for the Southern Sierra (south of Mammoth):

-Kaweah
-Nine Lakes
-Center
-Humphreys
-Palisades
-Dusy
-Ionian
-Gardiner
-Lakes
-Upper
-Sixty Lakes
-Evolution
-Blackcap
-Crown
-Pioneer
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Back on topic please, any further off topic posts will be deleted.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org