When you cairn too much

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

When you cairn too much

Post by balzaccom »

I got a lot of feedback from a recent blog post on my website about trailwork to Lake Margaret. Lots of people wondering why we are taking down cairns. It's pretty simple: they're unnecessary. And part of Leave No Trace is to ...you know...Leave No Trace. I knocked down more than 130 cairns in 4 miles on this trail. I left three.

So here's my summary of cairn policy.

Should you ever put up a cairn? Before you do, ask yourself this question: Am I lost? If you are lost, don't put up a cairn. It will just confuse anyone who follows you. If you are not lost, then you don't need to put up a cairn. You found your way just fine. Please allow other hikers to do the same.

If you can see where the trail goes, don't put up a cairn.

If you can see the trail behind you, don't put up a cairn.

If you can see a log cut for the trail, don't put up a cairn.

If you can see a blaze on a tree, don't put up a cairn.

If you can see a strip of plastic ribbon, don't put up a cairn.

If you can see footprints in the dirt or sand, don't put up a cairn.

If you can see a path through the grass, don't put up a cairn.

If you can see branches outlining the trail, Don't put up a cairn.

If you can a cairn ahead or behind you, don't put up a cairn.

If it's obvious where the trail goes, don't put up a cairn.

If you are moved to create artwork with natural materials, do it in your garden at home. Don't put up a cairn.

And if you do put up a cairn to help you find you way back....take it down on your way back.

When in doubt, don't put up a cairn.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: When you cairn too much

Post by rlown »

Nice list, but If you see a ribbon, shouldn't that be taken down as well? They are sometimes used by hunters to mark where they left the kill if they need help recovering game and went for help on recovery.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

rlown wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:06 am Nice list, but If you see a ribbon, shouldn't that be taken down as well? They are sometimes used by hunters to mark where they left the kill if they need help recovering game and went for help on recovery.
At least in some forests, ribbons are used to mark trails. While they may be less 'organic' than tree blazes and cairns, they are easier to see, easier to remove, and alter the natural environment less than hacking at trees or moving stuff around.
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Trails are already man-made features in the wilderness, just like cairns. I disagree with the number of cairns you took down. You say they are not needed. Well, they may BE needed during snowmelt or in the winter. That grass path you saw may be totally overgrown early season. Just because on a one-time visit, you deem a cairn "not needed" is short sighted. With reduced trail budgets a well cairned trail reduces the need for maintenance. Cairns help keep the trail open and reduce problem of trail braiding that leads to more damage than staying on the designated trail.

Cairns on off-trail routes are another thing. There is where I think most should be removed.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

balzaccom wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:25 pm don't put up a cairn.

don't put up a cairn.

don't put up a cairn.

don't put up a cairn.

don't put up a cairn.

don't put up a cairn.

don't put up a cairn.

Don't put up a cairn.

don't put up a cairn.

don't put up a cairn.

When in doubt, don't put up a cairn.
The Cairn Karen strikes again!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

I usually backpack in SEKI. The rules are quite clear. In the link below, the third bullet point is:

"Do not build rock cairns or other trail markers."

No distinction is made for on-trail, off trail, etc.

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... ctions.htm
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

rlown wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:06 am Nice list, but If you see a ribbon, shouldn't that be taken down as well? They are sometimes used by hunters to mark where they left the kill if they need help recovering game and went for help on recovery.
Forest Service, private timber companies, and other land agencies have a color code for the flagging. Different colors mean different things -- like land ownership boundaries, sensitive areas with equipment restrictions, or sampling plots for research.

So if you are using flagging on your hike, you could inadvertently cause confusion or create a problem. At least check with the local office to see what colors will not conflict with official uses.

Most flagging used by the agencies now are biodegradable. They last 2-3 years then decompose. They are also non-toxic, as animals like to browse on them.

Ditto on cairns. Some trails above timberline cannot be followed due to the epidemic of user-created cairns. The mountaintop looks like it is covered in Buddhist stupas.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:51 am Trails are already man-made features in the wilderness, just like cairns. I disagree with the number of cairns you took down. You say they are not needed. Well, they may BE needed during snowmelt or in the winter. That grass path you saw may be totally overgrown early season. Just because on a one-time visit, you deem a cairn "not needed" is short sighted. With reduced trail budgets a well cairned trail reduces the need for maintenance. Cairns help keep the trail open and reduce problem of trail braiding that leads to more damage than staying on the designated trail.

Cairns on off-trail routes are another thing. There is where I think most should be removed.
Daisy, this was on a well-maintained trail. Many of the cairns were literally across the trail from each other, others were space every six feet along the trail. Some were carefully balanced on a log that had been cut through for the trail. Others were actually six to fifteen feet OFF the trail, on tops of rocks. Again, there were more than 130 in four miles.

Given that this area gets ten to forty feet of snow each year, these little ducks aren't going to help anyone find the trail in winter.

And this wasn't a one-time visit, but a trail maintenance trip directed by the USFS to get the trail back under control. I wasn't just winging it, I was give specific guidelines on which cairns to remove and which to leave. I left three that met those guidelines.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

What I would like to know is, WHO WHO are these visitors that apparently have an incurable cairn making addiction?

On any web boards I've been on members that actually post have rudely condemned the practice, yet over 5 decades rambling about the Sierra, these eyesores seem to sprout up again and again shortly after people like this person kick, knock, and push them over. Enough to make Steve Roper rise from his 80 year old couch with a baseball bat. I've yet to actually ever witness anyone building a cairn but just in case I do, have been carrying a mini bazooka in my pack to take out both the cairn and cairn maker. Where are they? Do they look around to make sure no others are watching? If they were mostly day hikers, then we wouldn't be seeing many a few miles in from trailheads. But we do. Just think of all the time lost having to look for rocks every 100 yards or so and then find a suitable pedestal in trail view to display their graffiti.

Oh, someone just phoned me saying they fill up an unused pack compartment down at trailheads so as they march up trails, they won't need to look for rocks and instead have a rock always at hand ready to place. :rolleyes:
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It was not clear to me that you were on a project WITH the FS, balsaccom. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I am against individuals removing cairns on trails just because they think the cairns should not be there. By all means notify the FS if you think these should be taken out. Some cairns may be historic. And they may be the only thing keeping everyone on the same path on an unmaintained trail (this prevents an historic well-built trail to disappear just because there are insufficient funds to maintain it.

Part of my reluctance to take down cairns is due to all the miles I have traveled in the Wind Rivers. Particularly on the Wind River Indian Reservation, cairns are essential to keep the trails usable since they do no official maintenance. And some rock pile we may think are cairns may have some spiritual and historic value to tribal members.

I leave most existing cairns alone, but I DO NOT put up any cairns myself. Cairns that are obviously put up for fun are usually pretty obvious as are rock rings made into designs, etc. Those I may remove.

By the way, have you seen the amazing cairn at Columbine Lake? I wonder if it is still there. I always loved seeing it.
106-0640_Cairn at Columbine Lk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.