TR: Chiura Obata Lake > Florence Peak (false summit) > Parsons Ridge

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BigTubs
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Chiura Obata Lake > Florence Peak (false summit) > Parsons Ridge

Post by BigTubs »

I reloaded and lost my draft, so I'll post a quicker version.... I got some time off work and hit the Nelson Lake TH. I've been many times before, but recently learned the Chiura Obata print (https://americanart.si.edu/artwork/lake ... erra-54549) by my door the last 10 years, is the lake beneath Johnson Peak, and I've been so close without seeing it. FYI, you need to camp 4 miles from Tuoloumne Meadows, which is over the ridge here, more or less.
"Obata" Lake - there's a pond above and a few smaller lakes below

The next day, I dropped down to Rafferty and then over to Florence Lake. The descent to Rafferty is along a beautiful, flowing creek.

Rafferty Peak

Florence Lake at sunset, full of trout

Next morning, I climbed the notch above Florence Lake, which was a grassy, slimy mess, followed by talus scrambles and boulder hopping. It opened up into a beautiful plateau, with a flowing creek, and great views to the southeast. This plateau took my breath away, and I'm wondering how else to get there without that scramble.

After rounding the small peak next to Florence Lake, I saw this in front of me and thought: Florence Peak, here we go!

Oops, well at least I got a good shot of Florence Peak. Out of snacks and water, I didn't have it in me to descend and ascend again. False summit ](*,)

On the way back, I dropped down the notch to the upper lake above Florence Lake. It had a lot more traction, but endless boulders. The upper lake was crystal-clear for swimming and full of trout.

On the way up to false summit Florence, I decided I would hit the ridge above Volgesang Pass that connects to Parsons Peak the next day and exit via Lyell. You can see it in the pic below along the top - looks like a highway in this shot!

Parsons Ridge up top, Florence Lake below

Good stuff!

Parsons Peak top left. I've been down to each of these lakes before. The one on top is rocky and clear as glass.

Dropping down to the drainage above Ireland Lake.

You know, funny enough the Tom Harrison map says 1.5 mi. from Ireland Lake back to the trail and when you get there, the trail sign was 3.0. Well, all in all a good trip! Will have to climb Florence some other time!
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Chiura Obata Lake > Florence Peak (false summit) > Parsons Ridge

Post by The Other Tom »

Nice report, thanks for the pics. That's one of my favorite areas in the Sierra. By the way, I would trust Tom Harrison maps over a trail sign. Tom walked the trails with a measuring wheel to more accurately measure distances.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

That is such a neat route to string together--a very nice combination of off trail segments to connect remote places. I've long considered a variation of the opening part of your route, partly because it exploits the Nelson L. entry point for wilderness permit purposes. Thanks for bringing to our attention the Chiura Obata print of the lake below Johnson Peak. That's really neat and I was unaware of that;I visited that lake in 2014 on a dayhike.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Man, who stole all the snow :(
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
BigTubs
Topix Acquainted

Post by BigTubs »

Thanks All,

Yeah, the only snow I saw was in the drainage that feeds Ireland Lake, and a little patch above the lake above Florence.

Obata has a few paintings of that lake, and for those of you in the Bay Area, the De Young has two I think.

I'd never been this way through Nelson, typically I go over the ridge south of Elizabeth Lake and then cross to Reymann, or shoot the notch to Matthes.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Nice report. Thanks for sharing.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Big Tubs,
I'm a bit dense here, so did you follow trail till the outlet creek from Florence Lake (and head up directly) or did you traverse into the Florence basin from Bernice? Or some other route? Otherwise, it sure does not look like there are too many other options for getting into Florence basin. Also, in your "Parsons peak top left" shot, I presume that's Lewis Creek basin you're looking into (meaning you're looking out toward Lyell and Maclure)? Or am I still confused? Anyway, I concur that it's a great area, and you were lucky the Red fire smoke was blowing northerly! Cameron
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Nice trip and report. Looks like a fascinating stark ridge up on Parsons. Did you by any chance run into the reintroduced Bighorn Sheep, or signs of them? Congratulations on a fine route.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.