TR: Cottonwood Lakes TH > New Army Pass > Miter Basin > Chicken Spring Lake 8/30-9/3/22

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dearantler
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Cottonwood Lakes TH > New Army Pass > Miter Basin > Chicken Spring Lake 8/30-9/3/22

Post by dearantler »

A few years ago I paid a brief visit to lower Miter Basin just above Soldier Lake and was smitten. This time my trip was organized around spending more time in Miter Basin. What a magical place!

My party and I started at Cottonwood Lakes trailhead, lunching at Cottonwood Lake #1. Our first night was spent just above the westernmost South Fork Lake. In retrospect, camping on the west end of Long Lake would have been even more of a treat.

Day 2 started by going up and over New Army Pass. I found it to be easier than (Old) Army Pass, which I took twice on my last trip. Scenic views improve with the ascent, and hungry marmots await at the top. Crossing into Sequoia NP, the descent back into forest cover over the other side too is pleasant and scenic. We lunched a couple of miles down, where the trail crosses Rock Creek, and then proceeded toward heart-shaped Upper Rock Creek Lake, opting to go up a use trail that follows Upper Rock Creek on the east side of the meadow where the lake is located. The use trail is clear at the start but there are a couple of rocky sections with fallen trees and debris where it helps to just know to continue upstream on the west side of the creek. We camped near the confluence of the tributaries fed by Erin and Primrose Lakes, right at treeline and just as the basin views really start to open up. We stayed here two nights.

Day 3 was all about exploring from base camp in the lower basin. The use trail is fairly obvious much of the way. We then went cross-country up to Iridescent Lake, which was farther than we had thought, but absolutely worth the effort. After a quick dip followed by a lazy rest in the sun, we scrambled over the escarpment just south of the Miter and toward Sky Blue Lake. It’s a class 2 scramble that can turn into a class 3 on the western flank if you choose the wrong way. It helps to go high to avoid the steep, exposed traverse on the south end of the U. Look for cairns on the west end of the U to find the easiest way down. On this route we encountered two Sierra big horn sheep — we stood mesmerized as they looked curiously our way. Sky Blue Lake is a lovely spot to linger. We stayed a few hours, lunching, taking a dip, locating the various peaks around us, and soaking in the sun.

On Day 4 we made our way to Chicken Spring Lake, which has visibly low levels this year but nevertheless provides a nice camping spot, particularly along its eastern edge. We hiked out the next morning, going over the Cottonwood Pass (more of a bump, really), and connected back to Cottonwood Lakes trailhead via a short connector that crosses through the equestrian area Horseshoe Meadows, avoiding the alternative of walking along the road between Cottonwood Pass and Cottonwood Lakes trailhead.

When I booked these permits six months ago, I had feared that wildfire smoke might force us to cancel our trip as it had late in summer the last few years. But somehow, in this hot drought year the South Sierra has been largely spared thus far. All told, we were unimaginably fortunate — excellent weather and hardly a mosquito anywhere we went. We saw a large variety of mushrooms growing happily in many parts of this route, and many critters, too — among them, the two big horn sheep up between Iridescent and Sky Blue Lake, and about a dozen marmots frolicking in one small part of Miter Basin. We couldn’t believe our luck. In July of 2017 we did almost that same route and had 5 days of rain, including intermittent periods of torrential downpours and hail. Never the same trail twice.
IMG_6880.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Cottonwood Lakes TH > New Army Pass > Miter Basin > Chicken Spring Lake 8/30-9/3/22

Post by kpeter »

Wow! A great report from an area I long to return to. I am especially impressed that you saw and photographed the Bighorns, and also amazed that the trip came off so well in such dry conditions. I've camped at the western end of Long Lake and agree it is a very nice spot.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Cottonwood Lakes TH > New Army Pass > Miter Basin > Chicken Spring Lake 8/30-9/3/22

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Years ago on a climbing trip to Sky Blue Lake, we did a day-hike up to Erin and Primrose Lakes- well worth the effort. I have always wanted to get up to Irridesent Lake; your photo confirmed that I really have to do this!

In my opinion the most scenic of the Cottonwood Lakes is #4, the one that is below Old Army Pass. There is a nice use-trail from that lake to Long Lake. The higher lake below New Army Pass (sorry cannot remember its name) is a bit to stark for my tastes.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

DearAntler:
I love the Ghost tree pic. Artsy pics of nature often come off as cliché or pretentious, but here you let the obvious speak of itself. Nice eye!

I like Long Lake for the view of the Sierra Crest, but South Lakes are better for hanging out on a forested lake on a hot day. I think I prefer Lake 5 over #4, as it offers a few trees for shade and a bear hang. I consider the view to the pass from #5 as more panoramic, and the sight line from the east shoreline includes both lakes #4 & #5, which is pretty cool.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

Thanks for the trip report.
The ghost tree is great! Also loved all of your ‘shrooms. We stayed at Long Lake for two nights on one trip and loved it. The first picture at dawn o r the lake is spectacular. How plucky that you saw that big horn up close! I have never been to Miter, now I will really have to get out there!
Yes, we have been incredibly lucky that our beloved places have been spared this year!
Aura
ironmike
Topix Regular

Post by ironmike »

I’ve also seen bighorn in Miter Basin. It must be a favored habitat for them. Super cool you got a picture of them as well. I couldn’t get my camera out fast enough…
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the report and photos, glad you had a great trip!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:30 am Years ago on a climbing trip to Sky Blue Lake, we did a day-hike up to Erin and Primrose Lakes- well worth the effort. I have always wanted to get up to Irridesent Lake; your photo confirmed that I really have to do this!

In my opinion the most scenic of the Cottonwood Lakes is #4, the one that is below Old Army Pass. There is a nice use-trail from that lake to Long Lake. The higher lake below New Army Pass (sorry cannot remember its name) is a bit to stark for my tastes.
That higher lake is appropriately named "High Lake."

WD, I'm trying to figure out where that use trail from #4 to Long Lake goes. The trail on the map goes from 4 along 3's NE shore and between 1 and 2 before joining the New Army Pass trail to go back up to Long Lake. A more direct line between 4 and Long would go right over Army Pass Point, which I presume is not what you mean.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

What a great trip. You were so lucky to see a big horn sheep.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Awesome and rare big horn sheep sighting! Me and another HST member saw a herd of maybe 6 or 8 of them (maybe more? this was several years ago) on a hike up goodale creek canyon. Was the only time I have ever seen them in the wild in the Sierra