protein options for non-cook dinners

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: protein options for non-cook dinners

Post by stevet »

Flavored protein powder + Nido + water = milkshake. Most evenings tastes pretty good after just about any dinner, hot or cold.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I'll give another vote for Rise bars. I bring them along on any over night hike. I think they taste much better than Clif bars and the like that have a fake kind of chemical taste to me. Of course if you don't like honey or almonds, youo're not going to like Rise bars.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

For cheese, Baby-Bels and any harder cheeses like parmesan can last for a long trip.
I "cook" with hot water, but even a typical cous-cous, bean and dehydrated cheese mix can hydrate at room temp if left long enough.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

wrap your bear can up in your down jacket
never leave your pack or bear can in the sun. ever. Only stop in shade.
I always bring a big block of sharp cheddar and it stays cold
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

paul,
I've been carrying string cheese for years and for my taste the best common brand is Galbiani and their individually wrapped sticks easily last for a dozen days. And we load up on almonds and pistachios (Trader Joes) which offer a break from peanuts/peanut butter (all of which are calorie rich). Cameron
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Thanks! That is just the kind of specific info I was hoping to get. I was thinking of running a test to see how long they would last , and I think I may still might try it with the Traders Joes brand that I usually get.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

When it is hot I don't really miss a stove. We have down 16, 19 and 21 day trips without a stove.

We dry a lot of fruit, make our own beef jerky. Bring a lot of nuts and some bars with a decent protein level. We also add some dense crunch carbs and some treats.

We just munch all day without actually stopping to prepare a meal. We load two 1 quart bags of food each evening for the next day. We pack up in the morning and eat all day on the trail.

We are doing an 11 day trip this September. We will bring a stove because warm food is nice when it is getting cold at the end of the day.
Jeff
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I did do some testing on the Trader Joe's cheese sticks that I usually get. Left them in my lunchbox sitting on the floor of my laundry room for 14 days and they were still good. I think they probably got warmer there than they would be most of the time in my bear can if I keep them near the center. So I will definitely be taking some next trip.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

wrap your bear can in your down jacket and keep your pack/bear can out of direct sun always and your cheese will stay cold
Kyrycenk
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by Kyrycenk »

Hey, that's a cool idea! I'm all for quick and easy protein options. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to cooking, but I'm making an effort to eat healthier too. I stumbled upon some info online about naturally food, and it's been a game-changer for me. They offer convenient and nutritious options that make eating healthy a breeze. So, adding flavored protein powder to Nido and water sounds like a great way to make a tasty milkshake after any dinner. Thanks for sharing! Oh, by the way, I'm new here on the forum. Excited to be part of the community and exchange ideas.
Last edited by Kyrycenk on Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.