protein options for non-cook dinners

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

protein options for non-cook dinners

Post by paul »

I do not cook on my summer outings, and I like that in general. But I am not yet satisfied with my protein sources for dinners. I have done meat bars and I liked that pretty much, but I am trying to get away from that. Last trip I did a lot of Aloha bars - they come out well in terms of protein per weight and low sugar to protein ratio out of all the various bars I have looked at. But I sure got bored with them over 11 days on the trail. So does anyone have other suggestions?
RSC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: protein options for non-cook dinners

Post by RSC »

Tuna packets, cheese or cheese sticks, dehydrated hummus. Mission protein tortillas. I like and bring Rise bars, but not for dinner. Just almonds, honey, and whey protein isolate, with 20 grams of protein.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

My minimum would be one Bison bar and two sticks of string cheese. I bake quinoa cookies, so that gives me both protein and calories. Nido milk powder is good.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

What is the longest trip you have done with the cheese sticks?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

In the mornings I like an instant breakfast with Nido powder 13g protein along with a few shots of instant expresso. You can add just about anything you want to boost the nutrition including more protein by upping the Nido.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

paul wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:09 pm What is the longest trip you have done with the cheese sticks?
About 100 miles in length, or about five days.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I guess I should do a little testing with some cheese sticks - leave them out of the fridge and see how long they will last. I'd like to be able to do 10 or 12 days.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Low-moisture, reduced fat cheese keeps the best. This is normally stored within my bear canister, so it is not out directly baking in the sun.

Years ago I was on a 25-day trek in Nepal. The cheese that we started with was running out just as we finished. Since we got to some moderate elevation, the weather was never hot.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

paul wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:09 pm What is the longest trip you have done with the cheese sticks?
A few years ago I did a six day trip out of Yosemite Valley and left some stuff in bear boxes in Curry Village, including string cheese. When I got done, I retrieved my stuff and, because the showers weren't open, ate all of the available snacks, including cheese. It was fine. Or maybe I was just hungry.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Peanut butter on anything!