tripod recommendations

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
westmatt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

tripod recommendations

Post by westmatt »

I have finally broken down and am considering a real tripod.

Doesn't need to be pro-level, but something that won't sit 12" off the ground would be nice. Looking at the Sirui 5cx, which would add about 2# net weight (considering what I'm carrying now) including a ball head.

Looking for any other recommendations for models that aren't super-heavy, can support a mirrorless relatively well, and won't break the bank.

thanks
-Matt
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: tripod recommendations

Post by Gogd »

For light weight cameras I've always gone with a ball mount with a small base constituting of a tiny tripod, and a clamp with a ~3" jaw. The tripod allows freestanding on rocks, tables, etc; the clamp can be used to attach it to trekking poles, tree limbs, etc. If you bring a wing nut screw you can drive it into wood and such, and clamp onto the screw. A similar approach can be using a length of cord secured around an object. Very LW, adaptable and most clamping ball head mounts are very affordable.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I use the Trailpix plate with hiking poles or just a few old tent poles. Add a small ball head and it likely is as low as you can go with a tripod that can support a bigger camera. See this post

viewtopic.php?p=123242#p123242

here is the old Kickstarter post that made me buy it,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... ght-tripod

However, it appears to be unavailable today. If you are handy and have some tools, you can probably make one yourself. A thick plate of aluminum needs a few holes drilled and threads cut to allow three poles to pike through at an angle, The threads are for screws to lock the plate to the poles and for the ball head.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Cheap and dirty but marginally stable. Use one of these for some video work.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-60- ... B005KP473Q
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

To get better recommendations, you need to state your priorities, such as low price, low weight, a specific type of head, etc. You want to state the minimum maximum height, like 30", 40", 50", or whatever. Do you need a quick release head?

With all of that in mind, I keep my tripod at 17 ounces.
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

One of the things to consider with these lighter weight tripods with a center column is how stable they are in the wind when you extend the center column. It looks like the one you linked has a free return policy so I'd suggest testing that on a windy day asap (put a cloth under the tripod so you don't scuff/dirty the legs if you want to return).

My lighter weight tripod is the Gitzo GT1541T (970 grams w/out the ballhead). I've used it setup in streams and on windy days and it does fine with a D810 and 14-24. Removing/installing the center column is a little fiddly but removing it does let you get quite low to the ground. I bought mine used and I see one now on ebay for significantly less than I paid for mine.
-------------
Dave | flickr
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

Thanks to all for your recommendations. @SirBC - that's a brand I am not familiar with - appreciate it.

-Matt