Baby doesn't like backpack carrier. Suggestions?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
ykill5
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Baby doesn't like backpack carrier. Suggestions?

Post by ykill5 »

We have an 8 month old and a Deuter Kid Comfort carrier. I fear that the boy has inherited his mother's disdain for hiking and starts crying after about 10 minutes of being in it. Pretty sure it is adjusted correctly, he just doesn't seem to like it. Any tips on how to get a baby to like a carrier? Do I just need to keep trying so he gets used to it? Am I doomed to car camping with him?

20220819_080711(1).jpg
20220819_081010(1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Baby doesn't like backpack carrier. Suggestions?

Post by c9h13no3 »

:D

My kid enjoys the carrier, so I'm not sure how much advice I have to offer. Often the beginning can be a bit trying, but if I give him a snack after putting him in, he usually chills out.

I'll also try to keep him entertained by pointing out trees, lizards, and other whatnot along the trail. He also enjoys holding sticks.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Could you attach some toys to the ceiling of the baby carrier?
ykill5
Topix Novice

Post by ykill5 »

There is actually a toy hanging in the picture, maybe he needs more options. Definitely going to bring some snacks next time.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I also started my kid pretty young, did my first hike with him when he was 3 days old. He’s been my training weight ever since.

He falls asleep in the carrier a lot, it can make hats challenging :). For example:
0B64ED98-2941-4B3F-87EA-1DBE9252F072.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
ykill5
Topix Novice

Post by ykill5 »

c9h13no3 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:20 pm I also started my kid pretty young, did my first hike with him when he was 3 days old. He’s been my training weight ever since.

He falls asleep in the carrier a lot, it can make hats challenging :). For example:
0B64ED98-2941-4B3F-87EA-1DBE9252F072.jpeg
Hopefully it will start cooling off a bit so we can get out there more regularly and he will get used to it.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

We started both kids (Lee and Dawn) out in carriers and were fortunate because both were reasonably happy and would also sleep for awhile. We limited our hikes to really short ones. Our longest dayhike was probably 2 miles one-way and we did a backpack with one of them which was about 1.5 miles one-way off trail. I recall there were moments of fretting so we made fairly frequent stops. In other words the kids were content or asleep most of the time but they did have their moments of crying back there. Both grew fast enough so that they were self propelled over the same distances at an early age. I recall the most difficult period was when we were using the kid carrier for the youngest one (Dawn) and the older one (Lee) would poop out and I had to carry him manually. It took me awhile to master the best manual carrying position. I recall the shoulder carry was the easiest for me but he didn't always like that I so I did in fact have to simply pick him up and carry him like a grocery bag without handles for some distances until my arms wore out. I recall we took more hikes with the younger one in the carrier than the older one and I think she was a bit calmer and would sleep more. My wife (Judy) was the kid carrier pack mule and she even carried Dawn all the way on a challenging off trail dayhike route that gains 1300' of elevation in a bit over a mile with some funky talus hopping and brush. We had one scary moment when we stopped for lunch on another dayhike and Dawn was asleep, so Judy propped the carrier in what seemed to be a secure position as she had a snack and rigged up her fishing pole. Unfortunately, Dawnwoke up moved around a bit so the carrier tipped and she banged her head on a rock much to our horror. She wasn't seriously hurt but it scared the heck out of us and we were lot more careful about not leaving the carrier within our grasp when it was not on Judy's back. Of course Dawn has now gotten so strong that she could almost carry Judy. I weigh a lot more than Judy so I can't quite say that about Lee and me, but he is now a stronger hiker than me, too.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

You mentioned mom doesn't like hiking. So is mom along on these walks? He may simply be crying for mommy. Have you learned to differentiate between his various cries, as a form of communication? The ability to categorize his cries will point you to the underlying cause. Is he colicky or cries while transitioning into naps and sleep? What is his I'm bored cry, his I want mommy cry, hunger cry, etc? Try to determine if this is just an at home behavior under a different setting.

At his age you should be actively attempting to teach him language. He won't be able to speak for another 8 moths or more, that doesn't mean he doesn't comprehend your communication in the meantime. Sing pop goes the weasel as you walk and "pop" at the appropriate moment. He'll find the anticipation quite amusing. be creative! Expand whatever dialog you currently engage him in: "Are you hungry, want water/milk, hot/cold, sleepy", Look (pointing) at that bird/flower/bug/doggie! Etc. He will quickly learn these keywords, regardless he cannot verbalize his thoughts. Look for affirmative responses to these queries. Teach him some simple sign gestures as you speak to him (e.g. hand grasping an imaginary tidbit moved the mouth while asking if he is hungry). He'll be able to communicate to you in sign before being able to speak.

Are you interacting with him while in motion? He simply may be bored. Try hauling him around town in the carrier. If he balks, it could be he is choosy about his accommodations. If he cries after only a brief time in the saddle, he may be spoiled to enjoying face time or more interaction while in motion. I have oversimplified this cause effect matrix, it could be several factors! If it is just the carrier, then repeated exposure should acclimate him to the carrier. If he continues to cry, then you are probably overlooking something.

I would strong urge you to NOT use treats as a predicable reward. Editables are for nutrition, not a reward for a given behavior. Crossing these signals in his brain can set him up for eating and motivation problems later in life. It may also make it more difficult to get him to do anything in the near term without such a significant stimulus incentive.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
ykill5
Topix Novice

Post by ykill5 »

@Gogd and @giantbrookie thank you for the thoughtful replies.We have had a hard time in general taking him out in public when he is not in a stroller. He seems to get a little overwhelmed when we are in a new setting around unfamiliar people. I don't think it is a tired/bored/hungry issue because he immediately stops and is happy again if I just carry him :) I'm going to try to get some backpack carrier time in a place he is more familiar with and see if that helps to get him used to it.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

Keep at it, it will get better with time. It's great that you're taking your kid out in nature at such a young age! I was in Evolution Basin last week and I was leapfrogging a family of four; a mom and dad with two kids. The boy was probably 7 years old and the girl was probably 5. Mom and dad carried all the gear. When the girl got tired, she rode on dad's shoulders. The kids were having a blast exploring the lake outlets in the basin. I stopped early for the day at Evolution Lake and they continued to Evolution Valley. I was in search of solitude and I did not want to be camping near them.