just another TR - Alta, etc.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
westmatt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

just another TR - Alta, etc.

Post by westmatt »

Originally planned to get as far as Lonely Lake, with a day hike to Elizabeth Pass, but it didn't work out that way.

Left Wolverton, saw plenty of people until the trail split for Alta Peak, at which point I didn't see anyone else until my last day.

Alta Meadow was pretty, but my camp was full of flies. I felt genuine pity for the resident marmot - at least I had a headnet. Was borderline uncomfortably warm that evening.

The next day I hiked up the little valley west of Moose Lake. It was steep, but pretty. Topped out above Moose Lake, looked like I was pretty close to the same elevation as Alta Peak. Circled around the back side of Moose and set up camp just in time for the evil black cloud obliterating the skyline towards Mineral King to reach me. Not a pleasant experience, but it was a pretty evening after the storm passed.

From Moose Lake I headed to Pterodactyl Pass. I told myself that if it looked at all threatening, I'd detour and head to lower ground. The views were impressive, but I could see an army of clouds massing in the south (not pictured), and my thunderstorm PTSD said no way - so I headed towards Tableland Pass, and then down into the valley below.

I spent a couple of days in the valley, just noodling around - typically where I get my best memories.

Hiked out the Lakes Trail, which resembled an REI advertisement photoshoot in several places. I know I didn't look as clean as anyone I met, and sure didn't smell as good as they did, either (guessing).

Don't want to get too pic-heavy, so...

Rest of the pics here: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzZnwp

Video here: https://youtu.be/MW_D-u_pREg

-MF
grampy
Topix Expert

Re: just another TR - Alta, etc.

Post by grampy »

Nice trip ! I especially liked the video (though I saved the second half to watch later). Your photos are great! I was about a day behind you for your day 1 & 2; camped along Alta Meadow meadow my first night (July 18th) and just north of Moose Lake for night 2. My approach to M.L. was from the south, after crossing the ridge overlooking Buck Creek Canyon. Your “looking down” perspective of Moose Lake are certainly more dramatic than mine (shot mostly from lake level).
If you could clarify, did you head to Pterodactyl Pass (but not head over it) and then traverse toward Tableland Pass while still on the west side of the ridge ? Thanks!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

You take good pics tho...
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

@Grampy - exactly right. Just went parallel with the base of Big Bird Peak. Where did you camp in Alta Meadow?
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

I camped in the trees toward the west end of the meadow. It looked like a well-used area, bit I was the only person there.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Your photos and video are excellent, Matt.
Thanks for taking the time to put together the great video. That must have been a buff marmot, all right. Marmots have eaten the soles of my flip-flops at SixShooter Lake, the zipper of my bivy sack at second Sphinx Lake, and the waist belt of my pack on Colby Pass. They got insulation out of the hood of my car at Mineral King. They have interesting dietary preferences. I keep my hiking poles and any other salty items in my tent.

Yes, there is a lot of granite up there.

You have a great eye for flowers and wildlife.
Please consider sharing your observations at https://www.inaturalist.org/
No knowledge of names is necessary to post on iNaturalist. There is an ID feature that uses artificial intelligence to help you if you don't know the name.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

@sekihiker - thanks for the commiseration. I was afraid to put things in my tent for fear they'd try to chew through it. I just used paracord to hang everything from a tree - thankfully I was in a place where there WAS a tree. I am going to take a look at inaturalist.org - I appreciate the suggestion!

-Matt
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

That is certainly the terrain with grand, sweeping panoramic views! Superb.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

westmatt (matt)

Many wonderful photos and great video + quality too...Wish I knew how to keep so still and "unshaky" with mine! (Maybe you have one of those GoPro's which I believe know how to keep steady even when a wobbler like me bumbles all over the place? Though see DSC in the photo corners which is same code as my Sony.....Mmmmmmm.)

Can you please give the dates when you went in July? I'm interested in when, and how long all this "dampness" has been hanging around for in the high country. Still lots of clouds scudding about in your pics though you got some very clear days too. All those flower! Wow, liking the extra rain I'm sure.

Your hijacked backpack is a real "What the Dickens???" one. Yeah, a bear would have trashed the tent to be able to get at the thing, so I figure your buff Marmot theory has merit. Someone else here early in the year mentioned the huge proliferation of "pesky Marmots" in that general vicinity, so maybe they have been marm-mailing their cousins in Mineral King as to how to annoy humans?! Tablelands is on my to go to list, so that 'visual reminder' will stay with me to take preventive measures.

Thanks much ~ Michaelzim
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

@michaelzim - exposure delay mode on the Nikon Z50 and my little Joby tripod are my best friends!

I was there July 17-22.