Vertigo when crossing streams

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Vertigo when crossing streams

Post by scottmiller »

I found out that vertigo when crossing streams is fairly common, but I didn't know that, and it took me 1 1/2 crossings to figure it out. I have crossed many streams with no problem, but my last trip involved some very rain-swollen, knee-deep, and FAST streams. It didn't take long before I was spinning out and almost falling over, which would not have been good in a stream that big. Thank goodness for poles. I ended up inching along by feel, with my eyes on the shore.
So in case you hadn't heard of this phenomena, now you know. If you start getting dizzy when crossing a stream, look up.
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Vertigo when crossing streams

Post by mkbgdns »

me too. my best guess has something to do with the visual input of the moving surface you're crossing. bigger, faster stream, bigger confusing sensation your brain's getting.
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted

Post by shawnterustic »

Same thing happens to me! Log crossings always make it 10x worse.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Yea looking at the water moving will give screwy visual feedback to the brain. Wading in fast moving water will give screwy gravity force sensational feedback from the feet.

Also the cochlear tubes in the ears of mammals aid our sense of balance, and work best when the head is in its natural orientation to gravity - in our case looking forward, head level. When the head gets tilted off this axis the feedback from the ears gets thrown off.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Logs are the worst for me. I'd almost rather ford the stream.
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottmiller »

Yeah, logs are a real problem. You HAVE to look down. I don't do logs unless there is no place to wade.