PROVEN Mosquito & Tick Repellent

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

PROVEN Mosquito & Tick Repellent

Post by michaelzim »

Being a strong "no mosquitoes" fan has kept me out of the high country for longer periods of time than I now want to endure, so the obvious conclusion was: ADAPT idjit!
So, to push into the waning parts of the spring/summer bug fest and get into the mountains earlier I adapted on two fronts...

1. I bought as (Sea-to-Summit) head-net...which to those of you who read my latest trip report, now know is an indispensable item for all future trips. My prior ambivalence to this remarkably simple invention can only be called 'gross negligence' (or ossifying intelligence).

2. PROVEN insect repellent. One of the 20% Picaridin products and the one I used on my recent foray into mosquito-lands. It's great!
My prior experience with Picaridin had been the Natrapel spray from REI and it was a messy business. The pump sprayer leaked. The stuff seemed to get all over everywhere, and I was not sure of the efficacy. I never used it after a few go arounds.
When I found out about the PROVEN lotion I decided to try the 2 oz. two-pack I found on Amazon. I did not want the big 6.oz. size for backpacking or a trial. The stuff can be found at a number of outlets like Ace Hardware, CVS, WalGreens, etc. but I just added mine to an Amazon order. NOTE! The smaller 2 oz. lotion only comes in Gentle Scent and now I see Unscented there too!

In short, the stuff is great!!! It goes on very smoothly. It feels like high quality moisturizer. Non greasy. And so on. No list of 'other ingredients' but I will take my chances as the company seems to have a (hopefully) more Natural vibe to its website.

Results on the skeets mapping me out for a blood meal or bonking into the head-net mesh, were instant! I would rub a little on my hands, shirt shoulders (where they could bite through if tight) and around my neck and Presto! The swarm would just vaporize. Gone. They would leave me alone completely, even down at my knees. Impressive!!! Seemed to last until I washed it off or went to bed.
The gnats and flies not so much. They eventually might settle occasionally on my hands but at diminished volume. Seeing as the new head-net took care of 99% of the gnats aggro it was the mosquitoes I was most concerned with anyhow, and the PROVEN put paid their peripheral peskiness.

Disclaimer! I have no, zero, zilch connection to Proven Company. This is all me and my experience.

I see that the 2 oz. is now available in Unscented on Amazon. The Gentle Scent is out of stock. Here's the link if helpful as for some reason finding the product with an uber-search proved testy.

https://www.amazon.com/Proven-43630-Lot ... r=8-2&th=1

Ummmm.....I think that sums it up.

Best ~ M.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Re: PROVEN Mosquito & Tick Repellent

Post by Love the Sierra »

I am a mosquito magnet!
Thanks for this, I will give it a try!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Have you tried the unscented? Could part of the success you had been from the smell?
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks for the tip. Must be good stuff because it's sold out on Amazon.
Edit: 6oz is available on Amazon
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

I have been happy with the Sawyer brand lotion, it is also picardin based. FWIW, I hate smells and don't have a problem with the Sawyer

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products- ... 07D43GC3N/
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

I have used PROVEN with mixed results. I like it when I am doing astronomy because I don't want DEET on my hands when touching my gear. If the bugs are mild it works fine. If they are BAD, I cover up as much as possible and use the PROVEN on my face and hands with everything else covered since it is night time.

My biggest problem lately is while golfing. I have gone back to OFF spray that I was use on my skin and clothing because the PROVEN wouldn't last 18 rounds.

When backpacking or hiking my most successful method is to hike much later in the season when the bugs aren't so bad. My worst trips were in June and one heavy snow winter on early August trip. I had to wear a bug net all day long.

I like to use a bug proof shirt, pants and hat like the OR Sun Runner Cap to protect my head and neck when hiking in buggy areas.
Last edited by JWreno on Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

JWreno wrote:
I like to use a bug proof shirt, pants and hat like the OR Sun Runner Cap to protect my head and neck when hiking in buggy areas.
X2. That's the main protection; other than that, I try to keep the deet out of my eyes, and coffee-- 1 stings. 2 ruins the taste.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Deet and netting - nothing else works well for me.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
rayfound
Topix Expert

Post by rayfound »

Gogd wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:18 pm Deet and netting - nothing else works well for me.

Ed
That was my previous opinion.

Over the last 2 years I have completely converted to Picaridin on skin and pretreating clothing with Permetherin. I use sawyer brand products for both but assume brand is relatively unimportant.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Even with good repellant, a head net is a must for me because I just cannot tolerate any bugs in my face.

A warning-- This summer some repellant must have accidently gotten on my glasses, because the lenses fogged up- could not wipe off. It was not DEET. I think it was Picaridin.