Best route from N. side of Ediza to Nydivers and Whitebark Pass?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Midnight Sun
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Best route from N. side of Ediza to Nydivers and Whitebark Pass?

Post by Midnight Sun »

Hi all. We will be camping next week along the N shore of Ediza Lake, planning to traverse Whitebark Pass the next day. What is the best way to get from Ediza up to Whitebark, ideally encountering Nydiver Lakes? On the map I can see what looks like a use trail beginning from about half a mile east of Ediza. I also read that you can ascend towards the Ritter-Banner saddle before cutting east to Nydiver Lakes. Thanks for any information!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Best route from N. side of Ediza to Nydivers and Whitebark Pass?

Post by c9h13no3 »

Both work. The trail comes and goes, and if you turn on slope angle shading in CalTopo, it’s somewhat obvious where the trail goes (where the cliffs aren’t). It’d make a nice little loop, heading up to Nydiver and then back down from the tarn at the Banner-Ritter saddle. The use trail up to the Ritter-Banner saddle is more defined.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

I'm not going to add much substantial to what C9 recommended, but my suggestion is that as you are working your way around the southern and western shore of Ediza, simply pause and examine the hillside you'll need to ascend to get to the Nydivers. There are plenty of options for doing that climb, and your choice is partly a function of how much excitement you want to introduce (or minimize). Ideally, pick a spot and then look for a campsite nearby. One other recommendation is that the Nydivers are SO nice, I'd plan to spend a night there, but that's just my bias! Cameron
Midnight Sun
Topix Acquainted

Post by Midnight Sun »

Thank you both for the advice! Cameron - we ended up taking your advice and camping at the middle Nydiver Lake instead of Ediza. WOW. What an amazing spot.

As far as climbing from Ediza up to the Nydivers - we sort of ascended up the slope from Ediza moving from W to E as we went. Scouting from the south side of Ediza was key.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Midnight,
In my book, you might want to elevate your experience level to 3, because it's moderately challenging to get up to the Nydivers regardless of how you do it; nice work! And yes, it's a fabulous area with plenty of niches to explore just up on that plateau (from the views of Ritter-Banner-Minarets to the Garnet and Ediza overviews). I might have to persuade my wife to head up there next month? Cameron
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

This comes too late to help you, but perhaps it will help others who come across this thread.

I have not hiked to Nydiver from the north side of Ediza, but have done so from the south side twice. That is a very easy trek. I followed the inlet stream that comes from the tarn below Banner/Ritter all the way to the tarn. There was a use trail most of the way. Then I strolled ENE to Nydiver up a not-so-steep hill and then over flat terrain, when the lake and pass will come into view a little below you.
IMGP3885.jpg
IMGP3893.jpg
Whitebark is then pretty obvious.
IMGP3894.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottmiller »

This makes me want to try Nydiver again. The last time I had Nydiver on the route was before I got in shape. We had come around from the north via Garnet Lake, and when we got to the pass going up to Nydiver I just looked at it and shook my head. Nobody else wanted to tackle it either. Now, after doing several similar passes and being way more in shape, I could do it.
It's kind of weird being in better shape in my 60s than I was in my 40s. I can't imagine how strong I'll be in my 80s! And then I woke up...
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

kpeter: what a great route! I've not ascended that way, but it looks like the best option of any I've seen, plus you get the Ediza bowl to boot.
scott: we took a newbie up Whitebark (fro0m the Garnet side) and he was glad he'd recently re-upped his life insurance (or so he told us later). It does have its moments. Go back to sleep and let us know how things go in your 80s.....me, I'm going for kpeter's route! Cameron
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

We took our three kids (ages 7 to 12) over Whitebark Pass from north to south on a trip in 1991. Nobody complained or seemed very bothered by it. I guess ignorance (mine, about the dangers) really can be bliss!
-Phil