Mineral King - off trail from Little Five to Big 5 Lake Basins?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bangorrhea
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Mineral King - off trail from Little Five to Big 5 Lake Basins?

Post by bangorrhea »

Going to Mineral King in a couple of weeks. I'll be coming down from Big Arroyo to Little Five Lakes. Then was thinking of cresting Black Rock Pass before going off trail over the saddle to the highest of the Big Five Lakes. Really wanted to go deep into the B5L basin and this seems a very doable route to do so without an out and back into the B5L basin, and more interesting than the usual trail between L5L and B5L. Something like this...
Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 8.22.52 AM.jpg
I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with doing this? I can't seem to find any TRs for this route when I try a search.
Thanks in advance for any input!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Mineral King - off trail from Little Five to Big 5 Lake Basins?

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Bango,

In a very delayed write up of a MK TR from last year, I alluded to a trip with a work buddy from ~20 years ago (I joined HST in 2006). We followed (in the opposite direction) the route you noted above and then took the "shortcut" down to Spring Lake that I also mentioned in the recent TR writeup. As you can tell, the contour spacing both on Blackrock pass (and on the shortcut) are appreciably tighter than on the hump you're planning to cross. In other words, you'll find it to be quite accommodating, as long as you have some, modest experience with off-trail travel. Finally, there was a group of about 5 guys heading off to do your route as we were leaving the trail to do the shortcut, and they appeared to manage it with no problem.We did get one photo at the ridge, but it shows the spectacular view of the Kaweahs (and the east side of Blackrock pass), so even though it's not optimal, it'll give you an idea of the terrain. Looking forward to reading about your experience! Cameron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bangorrhea
Topix Newbie

Post by bangorrhea »

The favorable contour map is what is making me consider it! It looks like the view in your pic is the Little 5 Lakes side? It looks like the B5L side might be a little steeper on the map, but not significantly so. I actually have very little off trail experience but it looks like the terrain shouldn’t be too formidable on paper, and the time off trail fairly modest. It seemed like a reasonable place to dip my toes in those waters, so to speak. Was thinking about venturing a little off trail in the 9 Lakes Basin the day before as well. Thanks so much for relating your experience, I’ll definitely write up a TR when I return!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

If you click on the photo, it will roughly double in size and then it will be easy to see the Black rock trail (above my buddy's right shoulder). It will also be easier to see the lower lakes in the Little 5 lakes chain (above his left shoulder). The terrain you'll need to travel to get to Big 5 is very similar to what you see in this photo, just less steep, so it's definitely a good option for getting familiar with cross country travel. Have fun! Cameron
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

Way back in 1975 (or maybe 1974) my brother and I took the saddle btwn Little Five Lakes basin and Big Five Lakes Basin at the end of a Mineral King trip. We were headed down to Spring Lake via the saddle at the head of Big Five Lakes basin, to spend our last night in the wilderness before going up and over Glacier Pass to exit. We were young then and I have fond memories of that trip and don't remember any difficulties exiting Little Five Lakes that way. Of course, now that I'm 70 I doubt I'll ever do that trip again and I hope my memories haven't made it sound easier than it was.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
bangorrhea
Topix Newbie

Post by bangorrhea »

Thanks Cameron and Richard, this feedback is giving me confidence to do it… I just hope I’m still adventuring when I’m 70. It’s not as far away as I would like!
JayOtheMountains
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by JayOtheMountains »

Here's the pass from the view you're anticipating crossing it from. Similar terrain on the other side. Was not too bad. I had a party of 6; 4 with no off-trail experience. We started at B5L and went over Blackrock. This was 2020 as the Castle fire raged just south of us and the Creek fire caused evacuations north of us. Mk trailheads closed the next day as we exited.

Some photo intel never hurts. :wink:
mattyjoy
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mattyjoy »

You will be coming UP from Big Arroyo to L5L. I would skip BR Pass from the east it has some loose scree and is meh.
After the trail jct of the outlet by the L5L ranger station go south (left) at ~10800 and head off trail.
It is in a seasonal creek with 15 ft rock faces that are easily climbed/passed. Wander around the slabs to the outlet and contour around the north side of the lake heading towards the saddle.
It is a really nice walk over to the saddle and a great lunch spot/camp above the two small lakes.
The saddle is cake. Head up to Hands and Knees pass and enjoy the view. It's ~600ft lower than BR and you will have it all to yourself with a great view above Spring Lake.
Camps in B5L would not be my first choice. But that's just me. There are a couple of great spots in L5L above the highest lake west/north of the saddle.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I went over the pass between Big Five Lakes and Little Five Lakes in 2006. It was easy cross country.
For trip report, see: http://www.sierrahiker.com/SouthernGWD/index.html
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Looks like there is enough collective experience here to write up this pass in the Cross-Country Passes forum. Anyone willing to do that?
-Phil