TR: 7/27-8/1 sorta circle of solitude

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: 7/27-8/1 sorta circle of solitude

Post by cgundersen »

torpified,
I'm about to head back to the Sierra, so I'll have to look later, but I do have photos of the ancient trees that (used to) be evident on that shortcut, but it's entirely possible that the snags have fallen and the logs disintegrated (mostly) and since they were relatively widely spaced, I could see one missing them. Or being focused on the distant scenery rather than decaying vegetation? Cameron
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the entertaining report! You certainly made miles. Thanks for sharing!
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by OzSwaggie »

Wonderful writing, an unimaginable adventure! (for me). I just read it to my partner as we lolled in bed trying to imagine being able to carry off things like this! (The writing as much as the hiking). ("Did you say 4700 feet of ascent and 15 miles? Seriously?" and "I haven't heard that word for decades, how delightful!") I had to keep repeating sentences because I would erupt into either astonishment or uncontrollable laughter midway, or repeat them just for the joy of it. Please keep hiking and writing, Torpified! So glad you dodged the downpour, it sounds like a genuine natural event of significance, roads closed on the east side due to mudslides/landslips etc. I wonder how the Camino tattoo admiring hikers in their sun hoodies and short yoga pants did through that? Best wishes to you, Donna and Paul
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

A witty, humorous report with delightful photos. I am amazed by your daily distances and elevation changes. I'm also surprised by the mosquitoes--I was in Pioneer Basin about this time and almost none. Local conditions--perhaps it was wetter in King's Canyon than further north? It is very interesting to hear you describe segments of established trail as somewhat sketchy to follow. I also see this frequently and think it may be the future of many trails. It really is big country you were in--big elevation change, big distances, big vistas. I need to get there again while my legs can still carry me!
torpified
Topix Acquainted

Post by torpified »

OzSwaggie wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:46 pm Donna and Paul
You're here too! Hooray! I can never remember what day it is in Australia when it's today here --- but I think your own Sierra adventure begins in about a week? Please report, somewhere, on how it unfolds, so that I can reciprocate with raves that are better deserved!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Thanks for a really fun read. And your photos, despite your protestations, are excellent!
-Phil
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

torpified,
This is the most fantastic trip report! I am really enjoying the route, the humor,e.g.:
I’ll admit that it was some consolation that how strongly everything smelled of bleach for the rest of the trip enabled me to sustain the illusion that I was cleaner than I in fact was.
, and the length of it! That's because we have to race off elsewhere now, but I am really stoked to know this TR is waiting for me.
You've obviously made a grand effort here... either that, or you are a naturally gifted writer. Kudos, and thanks again, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Finished your epic, and enjoyed it all over again with Lizzie. We dutifully searched out your photos, and agree with Phil that they are very fine. You sure covered some wonderful miles on your trip. You seem to enjoy your Sierra travels so much we wonder if you only get 1 or 2 trips per year due to your home in Michigan? It is our loss too, for we get less of these great trip reports. Thanks again.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
torpified
Topix Acquainted

Post by torpified »

Harlen wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:24 am You seem to enjoy your Sierra travels so much we wonder if you only get 1 or 2 trips per year due to your home in Michigan?
Alas, most years it's 1, and often one improvised in a panic when it turns out the route I'm permitted for is on fire. The silver lining may be that the deprivation enhances the appreciation. But some years I get to do my job from CA---indeed, from a base in the Santa Cruz mountains. In lieu of really doing my job, I engineer as many opportunistic strikes on the Sierras as I can. I also develop into a lowgrade mid-peninsula open space preserve ninja.

(And thanks to you and phil and others for endorsing the photos! But I've realized, too late, that my "not worth 1k words" crack was bound to appear out of context. When I tried to embed the photos, which I consider OK shots of terrific places, in the original trip report, what appeared in each place I'd hoped a photo would appear was: Imge. That's what I valued at <1k wds, and downgraded to links! Of course, in neither the original nor the edited TR did the crack and its subjects appear together!)
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I very much enjoyed your well-written, fascinating report and lovely photos. Since I have done your exact route, I enjoyed following along with you and your wonderful self-deprecating humor. I especially got a good laugh at your description of the “crazy Hieronymus Bosch switchback staircase” on the descent from Colby Pass to Junction Meadow. That is such an apt description. I’ve also done the shortcut cross-country route from the Lake South America Trail to the JMT a couple of times and found it a delightful walk with amazing views of the Great Western Divide. Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com