Wildlife Cameras in Remote Spots

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Wildlife Cameras in Remote Spots

Post by cgundersen »

As my wife and I were recovering from the "quadriceps-fest" that is the ascent of Grinnell-Hopkins ridge, we noticed a strange piece of equipment attached to a rock. Emblazoned with a "Property of the Department of Fish and Wildlife", it dawned on us that we were (almost certainly) getting our photo taken by a (motion-activated) wildlife camera. It took me a while to get around to sending a query to DFW, but once I did, I got a prompt response from Brian Hatfield, who is in charge of the project that installed this camera. Their target: the endangered Sierra Nevada red fox (SNRF for short).

Point #1: I have never seen a SNRF. Have any of you?

Point #2: Brian kindly attached several photos of what that camera has detected (but no SNRFs). I'll append them below, because they belie my complaint that we were deprived of seeing any large (or moderately large) mammals on our recent trip in that area (besides humans, and not too many of those!).

Point #3: Remember to smile when you next reach the Grinnell-Hopkins ridge!
Cameron
coyote.jpg
hare.jpg
Mule deer.jpg
marten.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Wildlife Cameras in Remote Spots

Post by c9h13no3 »

I may have seen a fox or a small coyote on a ski tour once. It wasn't red though.

In a similar vein, the Henry Coe Facebook account posts a lot of wildlife cam footage. It's pretty cool.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
avizzini
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by avizzini »

I've not, but did the trail cam look like this one?
AV150615.jpg
I saw this one earlier this summer near Bishop Pass between the top of the pass and the base of Mt Agassiz, off trail, on a giant boulder. I too meant to look into it but forgot. I assume it was tracking bighorn sheep or something. I didn't notice any indications on it of what it was or who it belonged to, it was near the boundary line so I wasn't sure if it was the NFS, NPS, or some random person.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My black & white landscape photography from all my hikes...
https://photography.aaronvizzini.com
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Avizzini,
Yes, it looked exactly like that. And there was another TR recently (in Yosemite) that reported a similar camera. I suspect they are used for tracking a number of threatened/endangered species. Brian indicated that there are initiatives both within the parks and others (like, his) outside the parks.
Incidentally, I did a separate post in Backpacking to the effect that if you are lucky enough to see one of these foxes, please try to get a photo. There is a link for reporting the sighting in my other post.
And, C9: well, maybe coloration is seasonal?
Cameron
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

The ones I worked with were hidden much better than the one in the photo. But these were in more public areas and more care was taken to prevent theft/vandalism. A hiker passing by would need really sharp vision to spot one. We had trouble finding them and we knew where they were.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
avizzini
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by avizzini »

dave54 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:12 pm The ones I worked with were hidden much better than the one in the photo. But these were in more public areas and more care was taken to prevent theft/vandalism. A hiker passing by would need really sharp vision to spot one. We had trouble finding them and we knew where they were.
This was the first time I recall ever spotting one. This one was a fair ways off the trail, facing away from trail. I didn't notice it on my way up Mt Agassiz but I did on my way back. What caught my eye was likely the rope or the carefully placed rock atop the boulder, I was probably subconsciously looking for cairns.
My black & white landscape photography from all my hikes...
https://photography.aaronvizzini.com
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

there’s a very similar looking camera at the top of little slide canyon, just as you are entering yosemite.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

We came across a trail camera not far from there two years ago. It was either at Stanford Col or just up the ridgeline. We assumed it was for tracking bighorn sheep.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

I remember seeing that last summer - I think I referenced it when I commented on / added to on the XC pass entry for it. Thanks again for that find, it was a great way to cross between those two basins. :)

There's a similar one near Cataract Creek / Observation Pass, but very built up and not labeled. I'd be curious if your contact knows anything about it.

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_9724.jpg
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Erutan,
Brian obviously is the fox guy and operates in National Forest, but he did note that there were other initiatives targeting other species in the parks. Why these guys have to abide by these arbitrary (jurisdictional) boundaries seems a bit silly to me, but that's how our world gets by.....I'm sure the critters do not give a flip! Cameron

PS. And like you, I am pretty fond of that Grinnell-Hopkins ridge, especially once one reaches the ridge! The bonus on this trip is that Hopkins basin was as pretty as I've ever seen it!