TR Lakes of the Eastern Silver Divide via McGee Creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR Lakes of the Eastern Silver Divide via McGee Creek

Post by SSSdave »

Like your camp siting as I sometimes do likewise. Below is my bedrock beside a large boulder site near Royce Lake #4. Sited so in the lee of the boulder because twas extremely windy when I arrived. In the past often just used a bivy sack that allows even more odd placements like beneath branches of wind swept Sierra junipers.

cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Dave,

That qualifies as hard-ass camping in my book; "our" boulder had a bit of sand/gravel under it! Cameron
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for taking us to this beautiful area with your report and photos.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Beautiful photos of a terrific trip over a really nice route. The Red and White Mtn views are especially striking. That is truly an attractive peak that rises so abruptly and majestically above all of its flanks. I've always wanted to see the view from lower down above Grinnell because I figured it would be terrific based on the fact the reverse (the view from the summit down to Grinnell) was like looking down from the cabin of a helicopter. Sorry to hear the bugs were so bad but I'm glad you were able to find some good high ground to make your campsites more comfortable.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi Cameron,
Such beautiful pictures! What a gorgeous area. I am glad that you had a great time.
Aura
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

At last I have computer time to thank you guys for another of your special brand of wild and inspirational trips! We loved so many of the images you took Joy, and the Grinnell Lake shot really makes us want to be right there, looking out the door of our tent! Like giantbrookie, I reckon Red and White Mountain to be one of the most beautifully rugged peaks in the entire range... towering up there with Charybdis, Clyde Minaret, Thunder, and a few others. You guys must also have seen the view of it from Laurel Creek, after descending those 2 High Route passes? I love that vantage point too.
Looking at your various pictures of the Grinnell Ridge you crossed again, I wonder how it compares with Cox Col, or "North Col?" I guess both are dead easy from one side, and difficult on the other, but does the GRidge entail the big sharp boulders? I am half wondering how the aging Bearzy would handle it?

Once again thanks for producing one of your rare Trip Reports-- i.e., rare both in the routes you choose, and in number-- you have a hidden wealth of future TR's don't you :nod:
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

John, Aura, Ian,
Grinnell definitely sits way up high in the pantheon of Joy's and my favorite lakes (add in that stunning backdrop of Red & White) and given how familiar we feel with the terrain around there, it's a great place to go, because there are few surprises and plenty of rewards. Ok, the bugs were an unpleasant surprise, but the stellar flower displays were ample compensation.
So, Ian, your Mills Creek/Cox col ramble was abundantly more challenging than anything we did on this trip. That climb out of Grinnell is just a long slog, but it does not inspire the kind of spine tingling sensations that many other cross country passes, including Cox, elicit. As for it's dog suitability, the first time Joy and I used that route, we crossed from Hopkins to Grinnell with our 3 year old golden retriever. From Bearzy's exploits, I think they are in a similar league in that our guy loved cavorting around the Sierra's nooks and crannies. And G-H ridge is considerably easier than the east side of Cox!
John, I think my wife had some other shots of Grinnell that may include the angle you mentioned. If I can find one or two, I'll post them.
Cameron
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

Finally getting some time to read some trip reports and this is another gem...with beautiful photos to boot. It's an area I have been wanting to go to for a while and even had a permit booked out of McGee Creek trailhead for my recent late July foray. The reported smoke from the Oak and Yosemite fires put me off though and I ended up going south to SEKI (and Milestone Basin, etc.) instead.
Your great trip report has me champing at the bit for a redux attempt there soon. So many places to go...Thanks for taking me there vicariously!

Best ~ Michaelzim
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Michael: That area still knocks my socks off, even with high expectations, so yes, it's worth a visit!

John, I looked through the photos my wife took and the one view in the current series that might be closer to the angle you had in mind is attached below. I'll also try to check some older trips, but those photos are on a work computer that I seldom visit. Cameron
Red and White from little pond.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

A beautiful trail report. Every time I explore a new place, I return to learn about two additional gorgeous destinations that need to go on my list! I am now resigned to the fact that I will never get to see all the beauty in the world, but seeing some of it vicariously through trail reports like this is both inspirational and rejuvenating. Thanks you for all the great advice over the years, and for another wonderful trail report.