TR Lakes of the Eastern Silver Divide via McGee Creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR Lakes of the Eastern Silver Divide via McGee Creek

Post by Love the Sierra »

Thank you for your outstanding pictures.
I just enjoyed them again. The one of Hopkins pass looking north is stupendous as is the bald eagle. My camera is over 10 years old and I am thinking of getting a new one. What are you shooting with?
BigTubs
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by BigTubs »

The color contrast on that 1st shot is amazing!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Aura, The camera my wife is using is a Sony Cyber-shot DSC RX1R II Digital Point & Shoot Camera that she is still learning to use. It definitely is a big improvement over the Nikon she carried for several years, but if course, having the scenery that abounds in that area helps! Cameron
WHH
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by WHH »

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to try and get Intel/thoughts of what kind of conditions I may run into the following route. we would be leaving Mcgee creek on August 31st 2023 and hiking in to Big Mcgee lake or somewhere near, then over Hopkins Pass and Grinnell col to Grinnell Lake, then over Bighorn pass and Rohn pass to Tully lake and fish creek. Then lastly over McGee pass(side summit of Red Slate) and back down to the trail head.

Given the high snow year do you think we will encounter a lot of snow up Hopkins, Grinnell, Bighorn or Rohn? was planning on Micro spikes to be safe but was curious if you think more would be needed? Crampons or axe? Thanks in advance, been wanting to come to this area for awhile so I'm excited to get back there.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

WHH,

I think this will be a function of your comfort level on hard-packed snow. Hopkins pass can look intimidating, because it's pretty darn steep, but by the time you head out, I suspect there will have been enough tracks to carve a decent path. Even so, wait to tackle it till later in the morning so it catches some sun and loosens up a little (the recent post by Moonwalker gives an idea of the abundant snow at high elevation off-trail passes). I cannot comment on Grinnell col, because its always looked harder than the Grinnell-Hopkins ridge (see the Cross Country passes section of HST) that I've used to make that hop. Those are the two crux crossings and if you make it to Grinnell Lake, Bighorn/Rohn/Shout-of-relief will be easier. Cameron
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

I too have just re-entered Joy's and your trip over these 6 great passes, and it makes me want to drop everything and race out as one of your followers! I did follow a wild gunderson route, north of the KKDivide, and it became a favorite. I have yet to climb Red and White, or camp at that magic spot of yours by Grinnell Lake. Thanks for the inspiration again.

..................... a few hours later Cameron, and I've talked a friend into a southern Sierra trip begin'g 8/29: New Army -- Crabtree Pass -- Discovery Pinnacle -- Whitney-Russell Col, and down Lonepine Creek. Thus we'll be following the route of your more recent trip.Thanks man!
Last edited by Harlen on Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Ian,

Cool! That will be a sterner test of your ankle; hope it holds! You should also have decent luck with the Goldens (trout) in that area; back when my buddy fished, he cleaned up in that area. Safe travels, Cameron
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Dunno how I missed seeing this. Gorgeous! What amazing romp of color and texture, from the wildflowers to the richly-hued rocks, to the sapphire lakes...this report highlights everything we love about this area.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steve d
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by steve d »

Hi WHH - Looking forward to your trip update. I have similar route planned for 9/17, entering from Mono and exiting McGee. Wondering if Bighorn and Rohn passes were clear of snow.