Interesting and strange ice patterns in Sierra Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
genetastic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Interesting and strange ice patterns in Sierra Lakes

Post by genetastic »

I was just reviewing my recent SHR section hike (Road's End to Bishop Pass Trail), looking at satellite photos of my route, and came across these interesting icy lake shots. Can anyone explain them?

Marion Lake with giant snowflake shapes:
marion lake.png

Frozen Lake with strange tracks:
frozen lake.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Interesting and strange ice patterns in Sierra Lakes

Post by balzaccom »

No idea. First one looks like classic crystal forms. Second one almost looks like the result of someone walking on it.

Wild, though!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I'm not suggesting that this is it--but I did once see dirt and even boulders on top of the ice at Little McGee--obviously fallen there during winter rockfall. That would alter the ice melt on that lake.

Agree with Balzacom that the first one looks like a reverse crystal formation, much like a snowflake.

I also wonder about currents in the lakes that might thin the ice. I am reminded of this when I see a lake that is way down or dry during the drought--the bottom of such lakes show stream patterns in the mud. I wonder if the way water moves through a lake could produce different melt patterns.

I bet our resident geologist might have a theory!
Jim F
Topix Regular

Post by Jim F »

Fractal geometry in melting ice on Marion Lake.

Jim