Campsites along the French Canyon Trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giulia
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Campsites along the French Canyon Trail

Post by giulia »

Hi!
The first week of Aug. I'm planning a 3night/4 days backpack loop from Pine Creek TH, Pine Creek Pass, French & Canyon Trail, PCT, Lake Italy trail, Granite Park and back to Pine Creek TH.
Are there campsites with access to water along the French canyon trail? I see that there is a creek marked, but I wonder if there is water at this time of the year (too paranoid about drought?) ideally within the first couple of miles after the descent from Pine Creek Pass. I really don't want to add miles to my route by going to Elba Lake or Merriam Lake.

I appreciate your input on the campsites issue and any other comment/suggestion that you might have about the route.
Thanks!
Giulia
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Campsites along the French Canyon Trail

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I hiked down French Canyon last week. Decent flow at the time — enough to find a small pool to dip feet and legs. We camped just below the junction of Piute and French Creeks. Plenty of sites down there with very easy water access.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
giulia
Topix Novice

Post by giulia »

Thank you!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I don't know about this year, but there was plenty water last year in late August. As already stated, there are several places to camp near Piute and French Creek junction as well as the area around the bridge over Piute on the PCT.