Unofficial camping at Pine Creek trail head?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Unofficial camping at Pine Creek trail head?

Post by looks easy from here »

c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:58 pm This map shows where dispersed camping is allowed. The green areas (non-wilderness national forest) and yellow (BLM lands) are what you're shooting for.
Interesting that map doesn't have Hwy 108 from Clarks Fork Rd to Kennedy Meadows marked as no dispersed camping, since there are roads signs there that say it. I wonder how many other local discrepancies there are, and which one wins if you get a ticket.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

looks easy from here wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:25 pm
c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:58 pm This map shows where dispersed camping is allowed. The green areas (non-wilderness national forest) and yellow (BLM lands) are what you're shooting for.
Interesting that map doesn't have Hwy 108 from Clarks Fork Rd to Kennedy Meadows marked as no dispersed camping, since there are roads signs there that say it. I wonder how many other local discrepancies there are, and which one wins if you get a ticket.
Yeah, this map was made with the Eastern SIerra in mind. I'd expect north of Bridgeport, the utility of this map decreases dramatically.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by scottmiller »

I didn't get back to this thread until now, the day after the trip, so I didn't read about the washout. It was a great trip, and we did have to deal with the now TWO major washouts coming down from Morgan Pass. Pretty much right at the very edge of doable. Had to lower packs, lots of nasty, messy scrambling.
We got to Pine Creek around 1, so we kept going up to Honeymoon Lake, this time in a torrential thunderstorm. Not my most pleasant day of backpacking.
As for the permit, according to the Inyo rules, if Sierra National Forest, who granted the permit, approves the route, Inyo is OK with it.