TR: Yosemite: Glen Aulin > Upper McCabe Lake > Roosevelt Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
David_Caruso
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Yosemite: Glen Aulin > Upper McCabe Lake > Roosevelt Lake

Post by David_Caruso »

Hi all, lucked out the new-ish Yosemite "walk up 7 days before permit online" and gabbed a Glen Aulin (pass through).

Overall great trip, parked at the Wilderness Permit Center and left the car there, plenty of spots even with the construction on 120 (which is a pain for sure). Got the permit and was on the trail by 11:30am. Friday on 7/15 there was a bit of smoke you could smell but wasn't bad (but I did wildland fire fighting in college so that's my lens, I've been in a lot worse) but my Saturday morning it was clear and no smell in the air.

Here's a link to the Caltop map... https://caltopo.com/m/6E05L the route was researched through something I'd always eyeballed out but then purchased the Andrew Skurka Yosemite High Route to fill in the details ($25 well spent and I like supporting folks like that).

Went up the PCT a few miles past Glen Aulin, which is somewhere I hadn't been before and that section of the PCT between the High Sierra Camp and McCabe Lake is very peaceful and easy walking. Pleasantly, the mosquitoes weren't that bad at all, maybe bit 5 times all 3 days...not the DEFCON-3 they were a month earlier at Vogelsang Lake.

Overall, two quick take-aways...it's truly amazing how quickly the crowds thin out, I was worried with a busy weekend, but saw a pair of hikers and one Wilderness Ranger until I was within 2-miles or so of Tuolumne Meadows. Second, Yosemite NEVER disappoints, just beautiful and sublime.

Camped night 1 around Cold Meadow/Cold Canyon and got to sleep early. I was tired after waking up at 4am to leave the Bay, drive, permit, hike 9-ish miles. Woke up nice and early with loose plans to get to Upper McCabe for the night. But after taking "off trail" from to Upper McCabe the route was easy and open. I decided to stay higher on the contours (my route of Caltopo is with my tracking ON so it's the actual route I did) just below the large fallen granite boulders and above the denser Lodgepole Pines stands below. I found it easy walking through open mix of White Pine and Mountain Hemlock. The last climb to Upper McCabe is easy but just stay to the "right" or south of the drainage and there are use trails leading up.

Made it to Upper McCabe around noon and took a long lunch and soaked my feet in the cold cold water, might have taken a quick 20 min nap...waited to see if the clouds were going to turn into thunderstorms and they didn't. I was feeling good and decided to push on over Don't be a Smart Pass and onto Roosevelt Lake. This ended up being pretty easy and took about 2 hours. The shoot up the pass is clear once you hike around that little peninsula on the south shore of the lake. I stayed to the right and there was enough of the use trail on the semi-loose rock to avoid the snow fields. The top of the pass...wow...what a giant, huge view of Yosemite. Conness is just giant from here.

The decent down to Roosevelt Lake is straight forward, start off to the right (west? north?) of the creek/drainage but the natural flow of the rocks and brush keep you moving on both sides of the creek. It wasn't hard at all, I felt more need to limit my damage to the bryophytes and riparian vegetation than I was worried about getting cliffed out.

Camped at Roosevelt Lake, there is a handful of great spots in the sand well back from the shoreline. After waking up and hiking towards the south end of the lake, I wish I'd spent the night on the rocky outcrops on the southern third of the lake, better flat sandy spots, not as exposed to the winds.

The "off trail" hike over Young Lake was fine, it's hard to stay on-contour so I came in a little low and connected with the maintained trail at Lower Young Lakes. I had read the middle and upper lakes are gorgeous.

On to the pics...

Camped on edge of Cold Canyon

Shepherd Crest in the the McCabe Creek canyon

Upper McCabe Lake

Upper McCabe Lake from the shoot up to Don't be a Smart Pass

The last shoot up to Don't be a Smart Pass

Conness and Roosevelt Lake

Ragged Peak and Peak 11255 in the morning sun

Lower of the Young Lakes

Great pic on the hike from Young Lakes to Dog Lake of the enitre south side of Yosemite, Lyell on the left and Cathedral on the right.

balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Yosemite: Glen Aulin > Upper McCabe Lake > Roosevelt Lake

Post by balzaccom »

Really nice. That last photo is one of my favorite spots in Yosemite. Just seems like the whole park is laid out for you to enjoy.

We didn't try to contour from Roosevelt, instead, we took a bearing on Conness and on Ragged Peak, and managed to hit Upper Youngs Lake smack dab in the middle--although when we did it, a few years ago, the skeeters were something else!

Glad you had such a great trip--especially since I've had to cancel one of our hikes thanks to a nice case of COVID...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

Glen Aulin & Cold Canyon, my favorite places in Tuolumne Meadows. The pictures are beautiful.
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

Cool trip! Bummer I cannot see the photos, perhaps it is just my setup? We did that precise loop in reverse last September. Really loved it, and was also surprised at the lack of people on the PCT north of Glen Aulin. The meadow sections there were unexpectedly nice.

Last September we noticed a game camera, pointed north, strapped to a rock atop Don't be a Smart Pass...curious if that was still there. Wondering what its purpose was...looking at critters, monitoring use over the pass, etc.
David_Caruso
Topix Acquainted

Post by David_Caruso »

neil d wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:57 pm Cool trip! Bummer I cannot see the photos, perhaps it is just my setup? We did that precise loop in reverse last September. Really loved it, and was also surprised at the lack of people on the PCT north of Glen Aulin. The meadow sections there were unexpectedly nice.

Last September we noticed a game camera, pointed north, strapped to a rock atop Don't be a Smart Pass...curious if that was still there. Wondering what its purpose was...looking at critters, monitoring use over the pass, etc.
Hmmm not sure about the pics...I just linked from imgur. That's what I do on other message boards so I thought it would work here too.

With respect to game camera, it was still there. When I ran into the Wilderness Ranger it was just below the pass and I asked her if she knew what's up. She wasn't 100% sure, but thought it was for the red foxes. But maybe Bighorn Sheep, we talked about a bit about the Bighorn population because I've never seen them and want to badly. She knew that they are in the Mono and Parker Pass area and thought they could be traveling that far north.
narc1370
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by narc1370 »

Great pics and trip report! Looks like a great trip. I have been contemplating a similar trip in a few weeks. How was the water sources between Glen Aulin and the turn to McCabe Lakes?
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

David,
I'm slowly catching up on some TRs and I loved your last shot, too (Ok, the rest were fine, but that panorama rocks). I'm still a novice in that region of Yosemite (partly too lazy to drive that far north from LA), but as I see more TRs like this, it will get me to budge. Your comment about the game camera has me curious, because on a recent trip, my wife and I saw one on the ridge separating Grinnell Lake from Hopkins basin (Silver Divide). Yes, one of the nearby lakes is named Bighorn, but I've never seen even a hint of big sheep in that area, so the cameras may be monitoring the movement of any critters big enough to activate the motion sensor (which I presume is how they work). I hope you smiled! And I'll post something if I can find an answer. Cameron
BigTubs
Topix Acquainted

Post by BigTubs »

That last shot, on the way back from the Young Lakes trail, is an epic spot to sit and name peaks. Thanks for sharing these pics, brings back good memories - I remember waiting out rain at the bottom of Roosevelt Lake watching the storm clouds roll in from the north (now I know what else is back there!), and many years before, the first peak I ever climbed - Mt. Conness!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi David,

I forgot to mention that one of the reasons that last photo really resonates for me is that the complementary shot (taken on the ridge immediately south of Ireland Lake) is in a TR I posted 3 years ago (you can dig it up with these search terms: TR Agnew,Maclure,Simmons, Lyell, Rodgers). It's fun to compare/contrast the shots! Cameron