Trip Advice: Convict Creek Camping, Dorothy, Bighorn, Wit-So-Nah-Pah?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hagbeard
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip Advice: Convict Creek Camping, Dorothy, Bighorn, Wit-So-Nah-Pah?

Post by Hagbeard »

I'm heading up Convict Creek for two nights next month with a summit of Red Slate planned as a day trip out of camp. The original plan is to camp at Bighorn Lake, with an option the first night to camp at Dorothy depending on how the group does on the ascent. The question is, between Bighorn and Wit-So-Nah-Pah, are either of them substantially less appealing than the other as a camp site? Constance looks nice, but that will require backtracking to ascend the west slope of Red Slate so I think that's out.
scerny
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Advice: Convict Creek Camping, Dorothy, Bighorn, Wit-So-Nah-Pah?

Post by scerny »

We did a loop around Red Slate last week crossing Corridor, Gemini, and McGree passes and climbed the peak as well. Here's my trip report on the Sierra Nevada Trip Reports & Current Conditions facebook group if you want to check it out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/sierrat ... 669654849/
There are a couple of ok campsites on the south side of Wit-So-Nah-Pah. We didn't make it over to Bighorn. There really aren't any campsites on Constance. The harder climb won't be up Red Slate but up the north/east side of Gemini Pass. Will be a good workout. :)
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Dorothy has good camping about half way down the trail, just before it goes up. Bighorn Lake was not that scenic. Wit-So=Nah-Pah sites are tight by the lake, but upstream (across for the confluence of the creek from Constance) there is a big grassy valley with scenic but open sites. Smallish fish in lake.
28-2756_Camp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hagbeard
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Hagbeard »

Excellent, thank you both! I think we'll shoot for Dorothy and continue to Wit-So-Nah-Pa if everyone is still good to go. If we stop at Dorothy, maybe we'll move camp to Wit-So-Nah-Pa and shorten the return from Red Slate on Day 2.

Great pics, Sam! I hope it stays that clear for us, August so often brings the smoke haze.