SoSHR: Helmet for Mountaineers’ Route?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TFTF
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

SoSHR: Helmet for Mountaineers’ Route?

Post by TFTF »

I (with a small group) am planning to hike the southern half of the Southern Sierra High Route, which includes the Whitney Mountaineers’ Route, in late July. (Am assuming no snow then, but will confirm.) People doing the MR as a stand-alone trip seem to advise using a helmet. On the other hand, trip reports on the SoSHR seem to indicate most people doing the whole route don’t carry them. Looking for input from folks who have done the MR, either as part of the SoSHR or not, as to whether you would advise carrying one. Thank you!
Last edited by TFTF on Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: SoSHR: Helmet for Mountaineers’ Route?

Post by c9h13no3 »

When I did it, it was 90% snow covered, but the 10% that wasn't was certainly loose. Given the route sees a lot of traffic, and you're not solo, I'd personally want a helmet at least so you don't have to go one at a time or do other things to mitigate the hazard. There didn't seem to be a ton of natural rockfall though (only 1 or 2 rocks on top of the snow), and if your time table is flexible, could be done without a brain bucket.

Seems weird to do the MR with an overnight pack, but idk, people do weird stuff.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Do you wear a helmet when you ride a bike? If I were doing this with a bunch of climbers, I would want to know that they were wearing helmets--for the reasons above. Many hands make rocks fall.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is your life, your head, your decision. I have descended the Mountaineers Route twice after east face climbs and had a helmet because we really needed it on the technical climbs. My question is why do you want to do this route in the first place? I would do it as a stand-alone trip some other time and take a helmet. When I did it, what I really wanted were crampons or spikes. Once in the shade it gets very icy. Are you taking spikes for the SoSHR?

If you plan on other peak bagging and routes with loose rock, then perhaps a lightweight helmet would be worth the weight. My climbing helmet weighed very little, so I always took it. By the way, bicycle helmets and climbing helmets are designed for different types of head protection. If you are going to carry a helmet, get a climbing helmet.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:16 am By the way, bicycle helmets and climbing helmets are designed for different types of head protection. If you are going to carry a helmet, get a climbing helmet.
If this was directed at my comment, I should clarify that I wasn't suggesting the OP wear a cycling helmet to climb rocks. I was suggesting that if you regularly cycle without a helmet, then that's a good indicator of your risk tolerance...

(edited for additional clarity--I wear a helmet when cycling.)
Last edited by balzaccom on Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Bring a helmet, its sh*t show on whitney even on the MR and lots of loose rocks. Don't be another statistic on whitney. Safety first, team work second, high fives third, is my motto.
TFTF
Topix Novice

Post by TFTF »

c9h13no3 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:59 pm When I did it, it was 90% snow covered, but the 10% that wasn't was certainly loose. Given the route sees a lot of traffic, and you're not solo, I'd personally want a helmet at least so you don't have to go one at a time or do other things to mitigate the hazard. There didn't seem to be a ton of natural rockfall though (only 1 or 2 rocks on top of the snow), and if your time table is flexible, could be done without a brain bucket.

Seems weird to do the MR with an overnight pack, but idk, people do weird stuff.
Thanks for the beta. As for it being weird to do something with an overnight pack, those who live in glass houses probably shouldn't throw stones.
TFTF
Topix Novice

Post by TFTF »

balzaccom wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:39 am Do you wear a helmet when you ride a bike? If I were doing this with a bunch of climbers, I would want to know that they were wearing helmets--for the reasons above. Many hands make rocks fall.
I do! Then again, when I ride a bike, I'm typically just heading out for a ride. A more pertinent question might be, if I were going to hike for several days to a place where a bike was waiting for me, grab the bike and ride it a couple of miles, and then get off it and hike for several more days, would I carry a helmet the whole way just for those couple of miles? I'm not sure. I might seek out a community that was familiar with the conditions, and ask their advice before deciding. Thanks for being part of that community.
TFTF
Topix Novice

Post by TFTF »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:16 am My question is why do you want to do this route in the first place? I would do it as a stand-alone trip some other time and take a helmet. When I did it, what I really wanted were crampons or spikes. Once in the shade it gets very icy. Are you taking spikes for the SoSHR?
We all have our reasons, don't we? My question is, would my reasons for wanting to do this route change the advice you would offer?

But thanks. We'll make a game-time decision on crampons/spikes depending on the conditions. I'm thinking we'll be late enough in the season that we won't need them, but we'll see. (And don't worry, I won't bring a bike helmet!)
TFTF
Topix Novice

Post by TFTF »

Silky Smooth wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:46 pm Bring a helmet, its sh*t show on whitney even on the MR and lots of loose rocks. Don't be another statistic on whitney. Safety first, team work second, high fives third, is my motto.
Good motto.