Mono Creek Advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Mono Creek Advice

Post by Love the Sierra »

…On the other hand, WD, you are right, it all depends upon your nature and who you are.

My first backpack was a two month trek in Nepal around Annapurna Circuit. I went in tennis shoes and had about a 20-25 lb pack which felt like tons to me. I was totally in LOVE with everything about backpacking! EVERYTHING! Up until then, I had done some 4-7 mile hikes with maybe a few hundred feet gain and called myself a hiker. :D I swam 2-3 miles a day and lifted very light weights and considered myself athletic. I could not have been more I’ll prepared for the trip and I loved every moment of it.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

After this fine advice and after reading numerous trip reports, I was able to snag last minute reservations for entering over Mono Pass instead of from Edison Reservoir, and with that unexpected treasure I have switched from West to East. This seems more in line with what an athletic first-timer can be expected to do--although the first day will be a doozy. We will play it by ear to an extent, but will aim for a couple of nights at 4th Recess and a couple of nights in Pioneer Basin. Still debating if with 5 nights we ought to hike down the canyon and attempt to go up Laurel/Grinell or Hopkins or 3rd. 3rd seems easily doable as a dayhike, but does not seem as awe-inspiring as Laurel.

I am hoping that the skeets won't be too bad. Based on the reports, they have not been bad to this point, but perhaps they are moving up in elevation just in time to greet us.

Also hoping that crossing Mono Creek will be a non factor at this point.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

kpeter wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:54 pm After this fine advice and after reading numerous trip reports, I was able to snag last minute reservations for entering over Mono Pass instead of from Edison Reservoir, and with that unexpected treasure I have switched from West to East. This seems more in line with what an athletic first-timer can be expected to do--although the first day will be a doozy. We will play it by ear to an extent, but will aim for a couple of nights at 4th Recess and a couple of nights in Pioneer Basin. Still debating if with 5 nights we ought to hike down the canyon and attempt to go up Laurel/Grinell or Hopkins or 3rd. 3rd seems easily doable as a dayhike, but does not seem as awe-inspiring as Laurel.

I am hoping that the skeets won't be too bad. Based on the reports, they have not been bad to this point, but perhaps they are moving up in elevation just in time to greet us.

Also hoping that crossing Mono Creek will be a non factor at this point.
I'd recommend a night at Golden Lake. Beautiful spot and it allows you to skip the trail below Trail Lakes that is just ripped up by stock. Have a great trip!
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Hi Peter, having just recently returned from the Mono Cr. environs, and with an athletic, first timer, I can contribute something too. I concur with almost everything WD has said, with the exception being that I have always held the diverse forest of Mono Creek in high regard as a thing in itself. She's right that you won't see much above it, but you'll find Red Fir trees with over 4' diameters, and really stately groves of Jeffrey Pines along the trail. I too thought Hopkins Basin was less scenic than all the others, at least until the very top. On our trip up 2nd Recess, near the elevation of the first small lake, we went too high up the left side of Mills Creek, and ran into difficulties. WD also points out trail finding issues in there. It's at least 5+ miles to the beautiful upper lakes, so that makes for a long day trip. Pioneer would be great if you had time to stay overnight up there, and then make the day hike to the ridge for the truly amazing view into colorful McGee Creek. For a day trip though, Laurel Creek would be my rec. too.

Re. the first time backpacker issue, I wouldn't worry too much either, although Manu did have to be coached on toilet routines. When I mentioned smooth stones and snow balls, water, etc... rather than TP, he understood. Bidets are more common in Argentina than here, but he did ask the awkward question of crapping near the creeks, and cleaning up in "el bidet grande, y natural".... shudder. But his fitness made our rough route easily manageable. Manu is a long-time lifeguard, rugby player, and surfer), and he didn't suffer from the trail, only from not drinking enough. *Note that event from our recent TR (see pg 1) : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22414

I hope the trip is a smashing success, good luck, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
druid
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by druid »

I'm just back from a short trip with my daughter to Pioneer Basin via Mono Pass. The basin is beautiful and it's well worth staying a couple of nights in order to have a full day to explore. I heartily agree with Harlan's recommendation to climb up to the ridge in order to see the amazingly colorful mountains north of McGee Creek: Baldwin, Red Slate and if you make it far enough up the ridge towards Crocker, Red and White comes into view. The cross country travel throughout the basin is quite easy and should be no problem for your party. Other than a couple that were dropped off at Mud Lake by packers, we saw no one the entire time we were in the basin. We had mostly calm weather while we were there (July 10-12) and the mosquitoes were a little bothersome (call it a 3), improving to 1-2 anytime there was any sort of breeze.

We took the main trail over the pass but returned via Golden Lake, which I'd also recommend. Beware that there's a narrow 30+ degree surprise snow field on the way up from Golden Lake that you won't see until you're practically on it and that you'll have to kick steps across or climb around (we weren't carrying any traction devices).
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Thank you for the great ideas!

When you ascend the ridge on the north side of Pioneer Basin to look over into McGee, what route did you take? I could see following the inlet of the top lake in the chain, and I could also see setting off NNW from between the top two lakes in the chain? This is an appealing idea in part since my daughter and I were at Big McGee just a few years ago.

I've heard Mud Lake referred to several times. Is this simply the lowest lake in the Pioneer Basin? I can't find a name on any map.
druid
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by druid »

From the outlet of the top lake, we headed NNW until ~11480 and then veered NE to Stanford Col. Continuing directly NW to the ridge would have worked as well (we descended that way) but the direct ascent route had a little too much loose sand for my taste. We then followed the ridge west, dropping down to the south slightly when necessary. You don't start to get views of the McGee lakes until you pass the ridge bump at 11880+. From there on the views of Red Slate, Baldwin, etc. are stunning. In order to be able to see Red and White, you have to climb a final short class 2 section (with no exposure) up to about 12200+ in order to get just past a little NNW ridge spur that blocks views to the west.

I've never seen Mud Lake on a map, either, but I've come across several references to the lowest lake using that name. It's much prettier than the name would imply.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

I concur with all of the advice. Great that you were able to snag the permit! The only thing I would add is get to the TH early, even after 10:00am, we had a hard time finding parking. Also, if everyone is really pooped getting over Mono Pass, you can always stop at Trail Lake so you have an out. Golden is beautiful and the sunsets looking down on the entire Mono Creek are lovely. If the group is tired, do not under estimate Ruby. The sunrise was beautiful when I was there. (I had to come down only about 2 miles from the top of the pass due to a white out snow storm. I was disappointed at the time but very thrilled that we had hunkered down at Ruby to find that wonderful sunrise!)
We are there June of last year and the Mono Creek crossing was not a problem at all. I agree with Harlem, those red firs are pretty spectacular!
Have a marvelous time!