TR: North Emigrant June 24-28 2022

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: North Emigrant June 24-28 2022

Post by kpeter »

bobby49 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:56 am 4/10ths of a mile
Well, maybe I found the wrong parking lot. I am referring to the one opposite Deadman campground. Using CalTopo to measure the distance, including the trail down from the lot to the road, and along the road to the entrance gate at the south end of Kennedy Meadows resort, is 6,319 feet, which is 1.19 miles. On the other hand, perhaps there are other places to park. Pretty sure the one I found was marked something like "Backpacker parking." But if there is a closer, legal, public backpacker parking lot I'd like to know about it and use it next time!
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

You have the right lot. But when I try that on Caltopo I get .55 or .54 miles to right in front of the store ( tried it a couple times), which I am fairly sure is where you would park if you paid them to let you park. I've done the drop off packs thing ,and also just walked it. Only on the way out when my feet were already beat did that last bit of paved road seem long!
williegoat
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by williegoat »

Wow - I left the same day you did on a very similar route! I went up past Relief for Day 1, then over Brown Bear to Emigrant Lake (agree that is an incredible spot) and then Day 3 back over Mosquito Pass to the TH.

Would have been fun to bump into you, but I came down with COVID on this trip so I guess it was better it was a solo trip! I will post my own report sometime and we can compare.

I also suffered mozzies, the worst along Emigrant Meadow Lake, thunderstorms near Brown Bear Pass, and intermittent route finding issues between Middle Emigrant and Blackbird lakes.

Great comments on using other trailheads to get into that section of the wilderness.